Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slower Internet On Vista Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

I have Win Xp Home on my home pc which I have no problem speed wise when it comes to broadband - I hve a router and a wireless laptop which is Vista. The querie I have is on the Vista laptop - running wireless - the internet is slower when it comes to loading pages - I wait a lot longer for pages to load on the laptop than I do on the big machine. Any reason why?

I have looked at programmes starting up, and have Zone Alarm free / Avast Free / Windows Defender / Spywareblaster/ Spybot , and SuperAntispyware installed.
I have internet cleanup installed also which cleans out the temp int folder and I have run diskcleanup - Disk Defrag says I dont need to run it.
Theres nothing else i can think of to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

How much memory does each computer have?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:09 AM

I dont know exactly, but the laptop has more memory than the large pc - the laptop is 2g i believe

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

HI,,, try connecting your vista pc to the router with the ethernet cable and then run it and see if its quicker,,, if so then your wirless is getting interfearence from something in the house,,,,ie,,, walls, windows, the tv, the cat, the dog,,, move the router around and see if it gets better in certain places,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 harvam007

harvam007

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

Are you running P2P software? All versions of vista enforce a maximum number of connections, which can be easily exceeded with P2P software, this limit was added to XP through an update, so your desktop may or may not have it.

#6 aysebean

aysebean

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

first of all i have to say. You are running an awful lot of programs to just keep junk out of your computer..which is probably slowing your internet down some. Remember if you have a firewall tis sending that request and being stopped to ask yes or no. with all those programs running im sure its making it take longer to get an answer if the site is okay or not.

Secondly...your on a wireless connection which will not go faster whan 100 mbps. Ethernet is the only way the two connections against each other.

Thirdly, if you are running two different versions of internet explorer that will have an affect on the speed that your pages will load...firefox is faster than ie.

btw..avg will take care of everything those programs are for. short of degrag and temp files of course.

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

I'm not running any P2P at all - (is that file sharing? such as Limewire etc?) if so I dont have anything like that.

The main PC connected to the router has IE 6 Win XP and the laptop is Vista with IE 7 - would that make a difference?

Also, AVG does seem a good alternative than all those programmes I have running - I might get ride of Spybot/ Spywareblaster and Superantispyware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users