Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keylogger Hiding In System File "qkbfiltr.sys"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 daggoth

daggoth

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi all. I posted my problem with my laptop (XP installed) in "Am I Infected" forum first, then i am told to repost it here.

This file, "qkbfiltr.sys" in "C: > Windows > System32 > Drivers" seems to include a keylogger (according to Kaspersky) and everyday my system is refilled with trojans and viruses that steal online game passwords (and freeze the system periodically) no matter how many times i remove them with Kaspersky, MBAM, Spybot and some other removal software.

But i can't remove it, because then my keyboard won't function.

Is it possible to replace it with a healthy system file with the same name and function from another computer? I couldn't try it because no one i know have that file in their drivers folder.

And here is the link to my first post (including some replies from BC staff)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/154819/keylogger-detected-in-system-file-qkbfltrsys/

Much appreciation to anyone who read this and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hi.

I'm curious as to what you are basing...the assertion that your keyboard requires this file...on.

I'd just remove the file...and find out if it is the cause of your problems. Your assumption that it is hasn't been validated, IMO.

If it is a valid file, installing it again should present no major problems.

FWIW: I don't find it on my systems and to me...that says that it's nonessential.

Louis

#3 daggoth

daggoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

I cut it from drivers folder and put it inside a flashdisk for backup. Next time i reboot, keyboard didn't work. I had to reboot in safe mode and put it back.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#4 BigBoyTN

BigBoyTN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

What type of computer laptop or desktop? What type of keyboard laptop keyboard or seperate keboard? If it is laptop keyboard did you get the driver from the computer maker? If the keyboard is not the built in keyboard for a laptop what is the maker, ie. Microsoft, logitech?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

Reading the other post, I see it's a laptop. Can you get your hands on a USB keyboard?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 daggoth

daggoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Reading the other post, I see it's a laptop. Can you get your hands on a USB keyboard?

Not in near future, no one i know of uses a USB keyboard so i need to buy one. Why did you ask? Is it because its my only choice left :thumbsup:

@BigBoyTN: It's a built-in keyboard. Got the laptop from computer store but the keyboard doesn't have a CD of it or anything.

Edited by daggoth, 29 June 2008 - 04:45 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

As you're still being helped by DaChew over in the Am I Infected forum, I'm closing this thread to prevent confusion.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users