Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"d" Drive Will Not Read Discs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spitfire11

spitfire11

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

Hi,
Has this happened to any one else? My D drive has stopped reading anything, I tried pre recorded discs, program discs ect. but-nothing-I tried to find a restore point in my system but it flagged up that there was nothing previous to 28/06/08. I tried to load MyDVD from the prog. list & the following error msg. popped up "Application failed to start because PX.dll was not found"
Just recently, Windows has warned me that the virtual memory was low, so I moved info to my external hard drive and then cleaned out My Documents and also moved some prog. files as well, to free up memory. I then opened Ccleaner and checked the registry entries and there was a whole list of "Windows\system32\" info listed, so I backed this up & did a clean.
I have this horrible feeling that I have done something drastic, but what, I don't know.
I am running Win. xp home on a Packard Bell model No. 1503 running a Lite On dvd drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
spitfire11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

Does the drive show up in My Computer? Do you have Sonic installed? If so, try uninstalling it then reinstall it.
Virtual memory isn't about the disk space on your hard drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 spitfire11

spitfire11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

Hi garmanma,
In answer to your questions, no the drive does not show up in my computer and no, I do not have sonic installed.
spitfire11

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:24 AM

http://www.dougknox.com/xp

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

Edited by garmanma, 30 June 2008 - 07:25 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 spitfire11

spitfire11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

Thank you very much garmanma,
The doug knox link worked a treat, I am now back to "normal". lesson learnt.
regards,
spitfire11

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

Glad to have helped :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users