Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Post...new Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Gold Bomb

The Gold Bomb

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:30 AM

I recently purchased all new components to build a computer from new egg. The motherboard is a GA-EP31-DS3L. After building it all up and plugging it in, I get 2 beeps, and no display. The LED status lights on the board flash before each beep. I have tried diffrent CPU's and different RAM. I even tried with no RAM...still get 2 beeps. I am assuming it is a faulty board but I wanted to check with you all before I RMA it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

I would double check your RAM. Make sure it's correct for the motherboard and that you have the slots populated correctly

From Gigabyte:
" Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDR and DDR2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur. Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information."
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:12 AM

For your BIOS...what do two beeps signify? I think I'd try to find out.

I tried looking up the generic Award beep codes...nothing for two beeps and a notation by Award that motherboard manufacturers are responsible for BIOS updates/upgrades.

Louis

#4 The Gold Bomb

The Gold Bomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

The manual claims it is a CMOS error...

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

Change the motherboard battery and cross your fingers
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 The Gold Bomb

The Gold Bomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

Could that really cause this? A dead motherboard battery? I have never heard of that causing a MB to not post...I'll give her a try though!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

My experience is that dying/dead CMOS batteries...cause a system to do things it won't normally do. The effect can be almost anything that is out of the ordinary and extremely difficult to troubleshoot.

I've had 3 known issues with such, over the years :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 The Gold Bomb

The Gold Bomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

Nope, that didn't work. I still get the 2 beeps.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

A CMOS error...that's not very definitive.

We know that it's a CMOS error by the fact that these are CMOS beep codes.

Can you find something more enlightening?

Otherwise...my guess would be that the motherboard is good...everything seems to work and you get BIOS beep codes. That's about all that I could reasonably expect out of a motherboard which has a possibly flaky CPU or whatever. I've had a similar experience (but I did not have the benefit of BIOS beeps) with a new motherboard and bent pins on the CPU were my problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2008 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users