Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ill_Nino

ill_Nino

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

I just checked these settings, and am in Personal Firewall -> Program Control.

The thing is, I just found 18 lists of all the same program, "autorun.exe.". I notice that the all are set to users on my computer, problem is, I only have 4 different users here.

Could this be a problem? The majority of the places located is in each persons Local Settings\ir_ext_temp_*

With the * being a number.

What is this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:51 AM

It might be a problem, but there are legitimate programs that use autorun.exe. Are you experiencing any problems?

You could try and disable the firewall permissions for the file and see if any programs stop working, that will give you an idea of which programs are using the file. It could also be that the firewall has registered permissions for older versions of the software and not removed the previous version when an update was done. i.e. version 1 has a rule entry and a new entry was created when 1.1 was installed but the version 1 entry hasn't been removed.

I tend to flush my program controls every now and again and recreate the entries as required, that way older programs I have removed or don't use any more don't have access through my firewall.

See the link for a short list of the programs that use the file.

www.file.net/process/autorun.exe.html

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

I just checked these settings, and am in Personal Firewall -> Program Control.

The thing is, I just found 18 lists of all the same program, "autorun.exe.". I notice that the all are set to users on my computer, problem is, I only have 4 different users here.

Could this be a problem? The majority of the places located is in each persons Local Settings\ir_ext_temp_*

With the * being a number.

What is this?

Hi ill_Nino,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting. Although the "autorun.exe" is a well-known process that is used by many applications, multiple instances of this file in the Norton Firewall can point to a possible infection on your system. Please follow the steps below to clean up your system, set the Norton Firewall to it's default settings and to run LiveUpdate and a full scan.

1. Remove all temp and temporary internet files from each user profile on your system.

2. Follow the instructions in the following document to reset the Norton Firewall to it's default settings.

Modifying or restoring the default firewall rules in Norton Internet Security 2008

3. Manually run LiveUpdate from within Norton Internet Security, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that there are no more updates available.

4. While in the main Norton Internet Security window, select the "Norton Internet Security" tab at the top of the window, click on "Tasks & Scans" and then "Run a Scan," and then choose "Full System Scan."

After you have completed the scan restart your computer and then open Norton Internet Security and check to make sure that the "autorun.exe" entry is not listed multiple times. You may also need to re-create the Firewall rules for certain applications.

Please let me know if this process resolves the issue fro you.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users