Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Very Weird Is Happening On Paint And Notepad.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 technokid11

technokid11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

I have a weird thing happening. When I open Notepad or Paint and mouse over the buttons, they become white. WHY???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

This an ood thing . Do mean whaite as they become blank,the icon image disappears?
Also what is your Operating System, Antivirus and spyware tools,thanks.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 technokid11

technokid11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

Well bootme, I have Windows XP on my computer and no, it dosen't turn white all over. The one that goes white is actually the background and not the icon or text. (By the background I mean the grayish background)

#4 technokid11

technokid11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:26 AM

Whoops! Forgot the anti-virus and my spyware tool.
I have AVG Anti-virus and Winhound for my anti-spyware... :thumbsup: Just Kidding with Winhound! I have Spyware Terminator.

#5 nerdking

nerdking

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

try runing the programs from the sorce no shortcuts
if it fixes the problem then it was a bad shortcut

#6 technokid11

technokid11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

nerdking, I tried running it from run and it's still the same. Other programs are now acting like that too:
AVG 7.5
Task Manager

#7 xenoss

xenoss

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

I have the same problem.

Files, Edit etc, are all bounded in white boxes.

#8 xenoss

xenoss

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

I was able to find a solution. This may or may note be a virus related problem, but I got this white box thing after fixing an infection of Antivirus XP 2008 malware.

Only some programs are effected. For me, it seems to be the same as the original poster. Notepad, AVG7.5, Paint, Taskmanager.

The fact that the malware tinkered with the windows properties (hijacking wallpaper, hiding desktop options and screensaver options) may have cause some problems for some programs.

To fix this, simply go to Appearance. Change the color scheme of the system, then change it back. A sort resetting the looks. After that things look fine.

Not sure if this solves any possible deeper problem or not (or if there is one). But cosmetically, things look fine.

#9 technokid11

technokid11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

I've figured out what's happening:

The default Windows XP theme that I was using was, somehow, corrupted. I just changed it to another theme, basically the classic theme :thumbsup:, until I find a much better one to replace it. Eventually, I found the Zune theme, and like the classic theme, there was no more white boxes, now I'm using Vista Inspirat. Thanks guys for the help!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

Thanks fo letting us know!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users