Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Infected?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 partyonj

partyonj

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

I'm currently visiting a friend who is having quite a few computer problems. She has 2 children who have been downloading unknown software (games, etc) for quite a while and now the system seems to run very slowly, not to mention Mozilla shuts down unexpectedly (she is running both IE and Mozilla). She is running XP Home, Service Pack 2. Her favorite tools to run are defrag and registry cleaner.

I have deleted quite a bit of junk off the system, installed AVG 8 and SpyBot. Have defragged many, many times, but the final result says that it could not defrag 2 files:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Desktop Search\Applications\RSApp\Projects\MyIndex\MyIndex.Hash.gthr.Dir
C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Desktop Search\Applications\RSApp\Projects\MyIndex\Save\MyIndex.Hash.gthr.Dir

Both are approx 16G files. I have looked and cannot find them. Who knew 32GB of data could be hidden so well?

Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

Her favorite tools to run are defrag and registry cleaner.

Bleeping Computer recommends NOT to use registry cleaners. Using them may cause problems for your system, like not booting. It's not needed to remove it.

#3 partyonj

partyonj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Richard - Thanks for the input. Registry cleaners always made me nervous, and I don't personally use them.

I appear to now have a bigger problem compounded upon the possible virus. I tried to install XP Service Pack 3 last night. We had a huge storm last night during the download, and the battery backup she assured me worked, failed. So the power flickered and the system went down. Restarted the update and half way through the install, a ERROR box popped up and something to the effect of Service Pack 3 Object locked Failed to install May not work. So it uninstalled everything and "repaired" the registry settings it had changed. Not to mention, Windows Live Photo Gallery tries to update every night and fails with the message Some Updates Could not be Installed Windows Live Photo Gallery KB946486

When I got up this morning the system had rebooted sometime in the night and a message was up that said: Warning the System has detected tampering with Product type. Product type tampering is not permitted.

I did use a program called EZ Back It Up before I did the update, but before I get myself in too much deeper I had better get some help.

I've been visiting here and had planned to go home to my family on Tuesday, but I certainly can't leave until I get her back up and running.

Thanks, in advance for your assistance. I desperately look forward to hearing from you.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

I would be inclined to "clean house" and uninstall useless programs once I had verified the computer was free of malware

I have reloaded as many computers from bad legitimate software and drivers as from malware infections

Just to be sure would you run a scan with MBAM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry811062
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 partyonj

partyonj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the info, Chewy. Did not know there was so much helpful freeware.

7:40 am 06/30/08 Edit 1 ---- Sunday AM - Restored to the point just prior to the XP SP3 that resulted in the system error. All appeared well. Ran AVG several times and found several trojan downloaders and a couple of infections. Finally found the . . . /myindex.hash.gthr.dir files and deleted them. Rebooted, started AVG again and up popped the "Windows - License Violation - The system has etected tampering with your registered product type. This is a violation of your software license. Tampering with product type is not permitted."

Oh no! What now!

Edited by partyonj, 30 June 2008 - 06:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users