Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with xp install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

Please help me. I am trying to install Windows XP Home with SP2, and I am having problems with the install. Fiiles keep getting stuck, unable to install properly, and when I press "enter" to retry, it still doesn't. I wind up having to press Esc., then it doesn't properly install...then Windows keeps crashing. What is the problem here...the disk? the Hard drive?, or something in BIOS having to do with the Mobo. I have about had i...:thumbsup: Please help me, before this PC goes thru the window(s)...Clever huh!!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

I have run into that problem before a few times, and both times it was a memory problem. Check to make sure that the memory is the right kind, if it is enough. XP requires a certain amount of memory (I think it's 128MB) also, some motherboards don't like when there are mixed brands of memory and some require that you install memory in pairs.

Check your motherboards website to check the memory requirements. I'm pretty sure that it's causing your PC woes.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:15 AM

Although this may not be relevant, I've also had trouble installing an OS when the CD-Rom is not working well - either overheating or not reading because of a dirty lens. It might install halfway and then suddenly get an error.

#4 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:11 AM

Thank you to you both. Although my Mobo has 1 gig of Crucial memory, and CD-ROM is brand new out of box. I should also mention that I did get the OS installed, but then it kept crashing the PC :thumbsup: , and causing the computer to restart! More helpful suggestions needed please. Thank you. :flowers:

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

I don't have any for sures.

I'm assuming your hard drive's jumper is set as "master" on the end of the primary IDE data cable; your CD-Rom is on another data cable, also set as "master," or on the same cable set as "slave." Of course, you could also be using "Cable Select."

Your processor fan is doing OK? Have you checked temp and speed in the BIOS? (Assuming you can.)

Power supply isn't old? Those are tough to diagnose, except that they will usually cause intermittent problems rather than constant ones.

I suppose it could be a bad disk. It happens. Or even a defective CD-Rom.

Wish I could be more help.

#6 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

I don't know what it was, or what I did right...but yea it worked!!! Thank you all for your helpful suggestions...as usual, muchly appreciated. Thanx again :thumbsup:

#7 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

It [B][I]WAS bad memory...I tell you, that's the LAST time I buy cheap memory off of ebay! Thanks to all.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Yeah - eBay is always a risk. I'm using Crucial ValueSelect and have no problems with it - very highly rated. But the person you got it from may have destroyed it with static electricity. Glad you got it figured out, though.

#9 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:23 PM

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions...muchly appreciated

#10 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

I have run into that problem before a few times, and both times it was a memory problem. Check to make sure that the memory is the right kind, if it is enough. XP requires a certain amount of memory (I think it's 128MB) also, some motherboards don't like when there are mixed brands of memory and some require that you install memory in pairs.

Check your motherboards website to check the memory requirements. I'm pretty sure that it's causing your PC woes.

It is 128MB minimum ,recommended 256 good luck JL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users