Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Hard Drive Space?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Poonage

Poonage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hey, im a bit new to all of this so please bear with me... :thumbsup:

Recently i've noticed that the space on my local hard drive has been slowly decreasing for no apparent reason, even when there are no programs running.

I literally sat down and continued to click on it, only to find the space decreasing by 1mb every now and then.

I downloaded and ran combofix because a friend of mine advised me to, and the guide to running combofix directed me here as one of the places i should come to once i have the log.

i've run combofix a number of times, as it has so far managed to clear up all the space that this unknown 'thing' has gobbled up, although now im getting slightly fed up at having to deal with this, so id much rather seek out the root of the problem.

i will gladly post the log i got from the last time i ran combofix, but i dont want to post it straight off with my first post because its against the rules to post one without it bein requested... so i shall just sit here eagerly awaiting any feedback.

If theres anything i need to do prior to receiving assistance, id happily take the necessary steps!

cheers, chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hello Poonage,

You can download and run either/both of the following (free) programs to give you a graphical "picture" of all the files on your system so that you can easily see what file, or group of files, occupies so much disk space:

SequoiaView:

http://w3.win.tue.nl/en/research/research_...on/sequoiaview/

WinDirStat:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

With that information (file and/or folder names), it will be easier to determine what program(s) is/are writing so much data to the disk.

Edited by M..., 28 June 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

Please do not post Combofix logs here...the appropriate place for such would be either in the HJT section or BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

If you decide to post in either location, please read all guidance posted at that site.

Louis

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

There could be many reasons why your hard drive space is slowly being used up. I would guess it's something like a firewall log or the event viewer that is taking up the space.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

I see that your post...mentions 1MB space decreases. Did you mean 1GB?

As Budapest said, any number of things (including the pagefile and Recycle Bin and System Restore) could account for such small changes in disk space, moment-to-moment.

Louis

#6 Poonage

Poonage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

Nono I meant 1mb, but its quite severe, i probably had at least 2 GB at the start of a session, and will be shutting down the computer with a hard drive space of about 14mb or something?

Thanks M...

I will try out your solution!

Appreciate all the advice i've been given, Hamluis, I will be sure to post in the appropriate place next time!

cheers guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users