Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading A Just Purchased System

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jmoore

Jmoore

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hey all, I just got back from Circuit City with my new Acer system. Not a bad setup for the price I paid. 3gb RAM, AMD 64 X2 DC 2.5ghz, ATI Radeon x1250 video set, and a 250 GB hard drive all for $450. My old one finally crashed but the mobo is so old there's not really anything I can swap out except maybe my PSU (430W thermaltake). Now the ATI I'm pretty sure is on board video and I really want to upgrade the system already to a dedicated card but don't know which kind (PCI, PCI-E, ets...). Anyways I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on what I should get in the $100-$150 range that would be able to run some of the better PC games out there now. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link for the PC I purchased:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire...roductDetail.do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

I know you're anxious, but I would wait. You don't know yet if you'll have to sent it back under warranty for any repairs. If you open the case, you'll void the warranty

Edited by garmanma, 28 June 2008 - 03:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jmoore

Jmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the post. I've had the computer up and running for the past 24 hours with no problems. I won't install the video card for a couple more months. (it took a lot of begging with the wife to get this!!) As long as no problems occur in that time I feel comfortable installing the hardware. Plus, there is no sticker, pin, etc... stopping me from opening the case so they wouldn't know if I replaced it anyways. I just took a look inside and I have a 250W psu, and 2 PCI slots, 1 PCI-Ex1 and 1 PCI-Ex16. The only cards I've ever installed are AGP so I'm not sure which slot to go with. Any suggestions on the card are still greatly appreciated!!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

You'll want a PCI-E card, but before you do that you will definitely need to upgrade the power supply
You can go with 2 video cards if you want. What do you plan on doing with this computer?

Edited by garmanma, 29 June 2008 - 11:42 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Jmoore

Jmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

Games mostly. I want to keep the upgrades to PSU and video card. I'm not looking to setup extra cooling or anything like that, right now.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

You will want to use the PCI-E X16 slot as most all of the current graphic cards use this. With only the one PCI-E X16 slot you will only be able to use one graphics card.

I googled their warranty last night, and couldn't find anything definitive in regards to voiding your warranty by opening the case. The warranty does state that if you have a problem with any components that you have installed that weren't purchased from them they wouldn't honor the warranty. I would suggest calling Acer and asking them what their policy is on upgrades, their contact phone number for the U.S. is 1-800-571-2237.

The good news about the PSU is that it is a ATX form factor which means that you can purchase any number of PSU from places like Newegg. When you decide on which graphics card you wish to use, look to see what the power requirements are for it, and then give it another 50W for future additions. Most graphic cards now are becoming more efficient and a PSU of 350W without SLI or cross fire, and 400 with SLI or cross fire.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users