Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreamweaver 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerCrasher

ComputerCrasher

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

I just installed Dreamweaver 8 and can't figure out why it appears differently than at school. My "connect to remote host", "view list", "put", and "get" buttons are all up on top of the design window and greyed out so I can't use them. I just started this course and the instructor is a bit challenging to talk with. He speaks in broken English, is condescending, and has his RPMs cranked up to about 10,000. lol

I remember on our first night of class that the "manage sites" button was showing for our first use of the program over on the right side of the screen beside the "Files" panel group. However, that disappeared afterwards and the "connect to remote host," "view list," "put," and "get" buttons all appeared in it's place. Yet, I can't figure out how to get that at home. I know this has to be something minor, but have googled it until I'm blue in the face with no luck.

Also, I can't figure out how it's possible, but it seems like my web page was automatically updated on the server when I saved my files and without selecting to "Put" them. What gives?

OK, one more: (I should be able to find this one in the book, though) One of my links is directed to a non-updated file. Why did my other links go to the newly updated files while the other links stayed pointing to the old files?

Thanks everyone for any help you can offer in this area.

Edited by ComputerCrasher, 28 June 2008 - 02:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hello ComputerCrasher,

I just had a look on adobe's site for some info...http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400972 it explains why the links have changed slightly.

I'm not sure about the buttons greyed out, but I would suspect that the configuration of Dreamweaver is different to that on the other system. You should browse the settings and configuration options on the good system and mimic them on your own setup.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ComputerCrasher

ComputerCrasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

Thanks! I was doing alot wrong in the beginning. I was trying to manage this site on several different computers (home, school, etc). Well, I wasn't always defining my site correctly and not always saving to the right place. I had duplicate folders here and there and some were updated and some weren't. I just didn't understand WHY I was doing whatever the assignment was. So now, I'm getting it, but still coping with some of my initial mistakes. Instaead of having one set of files for the site we are supposed to copy the files after each chapter, rename, and then update the renamed. Well, I had files linked to my previous chapters, etc. Anyway, most of my stuff is good to go, now. (I think) :thumbsup:

Then I'll have to create my own personal site next. So keep the lines open because I'm sure I'll be back. haha This class is twice as fast as normal. It's a 5 week fast class they offer over Summer. Normally they give you 10 weeks to learn this. ..... It's pretty cool software. Hopefully I can get my bugs worked out and get into it more.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users