Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerned With 8800gt Temps

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

I spent pretty much all morning installing 2 new eVGA 8800GT AKIMBO SC cards into my computer (had to move a lot of wires and cables to make room for those monster cards).

After finally getting them in and forgetting to reattach a couple of cables, I got my computer up and running. The cards are fine, and SLI mode works fine.

My concern is this: The temps on these cards, despite being assembled with the AKIMBO coolers, are a little too warm for my comfort. One shows at 68 and the other at 79...and that's at idle. Of course, I downloaded the eVGA Precision tool first thing and cranked up my fan speed to 100% about 5 minutes ago. Nothing's happened yet, but I'm hoping the cards will cool down.

I suspect that because I have a mid-tower case (Antec P180), things in there are pretty cramped, despite the 3 big fans I got going on in there (currently set at medium speed). One of the cards is literally up against a wall in the case (stupid case design) and not much room in there for the cooler to move air, that's probably the one at 79 (which just turned 80...and remember, fan's at 100%).

Could it be that those temps are normal for factory OC'ed cards? Any suggestions? Am I going to have to spring for a full-sized tower with plenty of room inside for the air to move?

*EDIT*
Did some more looking around the Internet, something about a Riva tuner? Is the EVGA Precision tool I'm using useless? I may have turned up the fan speed to 100%, but I didn't really hear much of a difference. That's either because the AKIMBO fans are quiet or I'm hard-of-hearing. Probably both.

PLEASE help, these temps are really worrisome!

Thanks,
Venek

Edited by Venek, 28 June 2008 - 02:28 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

I wouldn't worry too much until you play games. Play some graphic intensive games for a while, and see how high the temperatures get. Sometimes those programs don't tell the temperature very well. I had an ATI X1900gt and multiple programs would display it as getting up and over 100C. I didn't notice any performance decrease, and I believe by that temperature my card would of just shut down.

Rivatuner is a very popular program that tells you temperatures of graphics cards, plus many other cool features. You should probably look it up and see what it tells you for temperatures. It will probably give you the same readouts though.

I'd say play a game for at least half an hour, to maybe an hour. Then check your temperatures. Look to see after a while if it starts lagging, or you see artifacts.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Boy do I feel stupid. Apparently on the eVGA Precision Tool, I forgot to hit the "Apply" button after adjusting the fan speed to 100%. NOW I hear a difference. Whether or not the temps cool down remains to be seen.

I downloaded the RivaTuner to compare it to the Precision Tool and found it to be much more feature-intensive than the one eVGA offers. Does anyone have a preference for one or the other? I don't use it for overclocking, just adjusting fan speed and monitoring temps.

A side note...the AKIMBO cards are unbelievably quiet even with the fans at 100%. That's probably because my old cards were like jet engines.

Ahhh, the temps are already dropping, thank God! But why is there a huge difference between the 2 cards? Is it because one of them is so close to a wall inside the case? (Slot cooler faces said wall, maybe a couple of mm of space in between and a bunch of cables pushing against the top of the card)

That brings up another thing. If anyone's interested in building a killer SLI machine with video cards taking up 2 slots, make sure you get a motherboard where the 2 slots aren't too close to any wall inside the case, or get a wide open case (read: full-size tower).

I BARELY fit my 2 AKIMBO cards in my Antec P180.

Edited by Venek, 28 June 2008 - 04:29 PM.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Glad to know things worked out! The temperature difference is probably due to one not getting good air flow because of being so close to the case. Most SLI machines use full-towers.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

Hmm...think I should invest in a full tower? I'm not crazy about an entire day disassembling the computer and then putting it back together in a new case, but if that will save my video cards from frying then I'll do it.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

You could maybe just get some more/better fans for your case. If you really wanted to do some serious cooling, you could get an aftermarket cooler. Aftermarket coolers is probably your best option.

I've heard very positive things about this cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186016 . The thing is, it's cheap and it doesn't use a fan.

If you wanted something a little better though, you might want to go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118001 . It doesn't say it supports the 8800Gt, but in review's, people have said they got it on one and it works fine. Make sure you have enough room in your case for these though.

There are other good aftermarket coolers, but I just looked up a couple to show you. Remember if you do get one though, clean off all the old thermal paste on the graphics card before putting new on.

#7 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:32 AM

Not really necessary, my cards are already fitted with the AKIMBO cooler by eVGA and works very effectively. I think I'm going to go out today and splurge on a full-size tower. Might cost money, but it's always better to play it safe.

Thanks, though.

#8 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Finally. I went out today and bought an Antec 1200. A BEAST of a case, let me tell you. Took me the better part of the day, but I got it back up and running now, and my oh my, what a difference it makes! I am no longer running the cards in the mid 70's with the fans at 100%. As of now, I'm around the mid-50's and fans aren't even at 40%. Probably doesn't hurt that I got EIGHT case fans running too, lol! Hey, peace of mind, I think it was well worth it. People have to remember that when building a gaming rig, it's all about the cooling. Always better to spend extra on decent fans and case.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

I'm glad everything worked out for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users