Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Mainboard/Processor won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

Hi, I wanted to upgrade one of my older PCs, so I bought a new mainboard and replaced the processor with another that I had lying around. I also put in a stick of 256 DDR and a nicer video card.

When I installed the original hard drive, I ran the Windows xp home disk to 'repair' the OS for the new components, and when the repair was completed, I restarted the PC.

Now the PC won't boot up. It freezes when the "check drive for boot sector" completes. I went ahead and repeated the same process with another mainboard and the same thing happens.

Here's the funny thing: When I moved the hard drive to my good PC, and repeated the xp repair, my good PC booted up fine on the hard drive.

I am starting to wonder...could the problem be with the processor I had lying around? If the problem was with the mainboard, it should have booted fine when I switched it out. Should I try putting in a different processor?

~Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

If you used the same processor in both boards with the same results then it is probably the processor.
The drive works in the other pc so iteliminates the drive. did u also use the same memory in each board that failed as well?

#3 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hard Drives are Very Particular about Hardware Changes. First thing I would do, is clear your CMOS. Then you will have to do a Complete Reformat of the drive. I have run into this same exact problem...and have always ended up having to wipe the drive and do a reformat.

Also a quick tip, once your drive is all set. don't switch out your boot drive into another system (you can switch out Extra drives that are not boot drives)...it is a easy way to cause corrupting and result in the same problem you are having now.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#4 Vintage

Vintage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

Yes, I used the same processor with the two boards in my old pc. Not the same memory though. The one board called for SDRAM, the new one requires DDRAM.

Yeah, I know you are not supposed to swap the boot drive, but I wanted to keep my data. The funny part is that it worked in my other PC with a different processor, so it leads me to believe that the processor is shot.

Could this be the reason for the symptoms I have? I could always take my good PC's processor and put it in the older PC and try it out.

~Rob

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:12 AM

When I installed the original hard drive, I ran the Windows xp home disk to 'repair' the OS for the new components, and when the repair was completed, I restarted the PC.

I think you were doomed from the start on this one. The only thing you can do now is call Microsoft and see if they will let you activate it.

You've replaced too many parts. Even if you can get this OS to start up, you won't be able to activate it. I don't know the exact policy regarding motherboards, but I think they frown on using a different board than you first activated with, on the sublime theory that the motherboard is the computer and you're now, in effect, trying to re-install the same OS on a "new computer."

You can read more about product activation Here and if then your best bet is probably to call Microsoft. Sorry, I wish I had better news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users