Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Problems. Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Faz

Faz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hi,

Ive got two problems with my PC at the moment. The first is the more serious one...

I cant boot in to safe mode! The PC boots normally but when I try to get the safe mode menu up, I get a Missing NTLDR message and have to resart my PC.

The OS is XP Pro SP3. Ive recently formatted my PC and reinstalled the OS and the problem is still happening. Any ideas?

Also I cant install Windows Live Messenger 8.5, it stops and asks if I want to try again later. I had problems previously so I installed 9 beta and that worked fine. Now I want to go back to 8.5 but cant. It says to get your firewall to accept it but even disabled it wont work. When I was able to get in to safe mode (before the first problem) it still wouldnt install.

My internet security package is AVG.

Anybody know how to solve these problems?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

Hmm, sounds nasty, if your getting a missing file error, it is most likly to either been deleted or not installed..

try using differnt scanenrs, eg, Spybot S+D, Ad-aware, so on..

Could it be a program you have installed on both occasions which might have triggered this? try downgrading to SP2 as SP3 has bad reports, some.. i have SP3 Home and its ok but i recomend you go to SP2 for the time being.. good luck!

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

NTLDR missing should be able to fix it by:

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password (if no password is needed just enter)
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files
from your CD-ROM drive letter.

copy (CD-ROM drive letter):\i386\ntldr c:\
copy (CD-ROM drive letter):\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

I would suggest following douglas martin's suggestions for using the Recovery Console, but at step 6 enter the following 2 commands:

fixmbr
fixboot

Press Enter after typing each one - and when it asks if you're sure, answer Y for yes (and press Enter again)

fixmbr will fix the Master Boot Record on your hard drive. That's the section that points the operating system to the boot sector. fixboot will repair the partition table for the boot sector of your hard drive, allowing it to find files needed for booting and is the most common reason for NTLDR errors.

Another possibility is a corrupt boot.ini file. You can rebuild this by using the following command in the Recovery Console:

bootcfg /rebuild

When typing this you'll be presented with theopportunity to rename your Windows installation - label it something distinctive so you can recognize it as the rebuilt version (I usually use "XP BootCfg" (without the quotes).

Edited by usasma, 28 June 2008 - 01:17 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Joan Archer

Joan Archer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

I would suggest following douglas martin's suggestions for using the Recovery Console, but at step 6 enter the following 2 commands:

fixmbr
fixboot

Press Enter after typing each one - and when it asks if you're sure, answer Y for yes (and press Enter again)

fixmbr will fix the Master Boot Record on your hard drive. That's the section that points the operating system to the boot sector. fixboot will repair the partition table for the boot sector of your hard drive, allowing it to find files needed for booting and is the most common reason for NTLDR errors.

Another possibility is a corrupt boot.ini file. You can rebuild this by using the following command in the Recovery Console:

bootcfg /rebuild

When typing this you'll be presented with theopportunity to rename your Windows installation - label it something distinctive so you can recognize it as the rebuilt version (I usually use "XP BootCfg" (without the quotes).

Would it be a good idea to give directions to achieve this if the OP doesn't have a retail CD only a recovery one and is not able to use the Recovery Console.

It is my belief that not all machines come with the Recovery Console installed by the manufacturers. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

If the OP doesn't have an XP installation CD (which comes with quite a few retail systems), then they can use this free direct download: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Then that leads us into a discussion of what a direct download is, what's included on the disk, what an ISO file is, and what programs you must use to write an ISO to a CD in order to make it bootable.

We have to decide how much information to provide in a post. Too much information often makes a post unreadable. It may also make the post too daunting for the average user to undertake. That's why I break my posts down into bits that are (IMO) usable. If more information is needed, I'll gladly provide it at the user's request.

Additionally, this will open up the thread to more posters - and is how I got my start on these forums. If the OP writes back to say that they don't have a CD, then other posters can contribute their solutions. This not only improves the response time, but it also encourages different opinions. It fosters discussion and increases the knowledge of all who visit here. I learn something new here nearly every day, so it's working for me! :thumbsup:

Finally, this then leads us into a discussion of how to provide support. Do we "hand-hold" and walk someone step by step through the process? Or do we explain what's going on, so there's a better understanding of the "why" of what we're doing? And what's our responsibility to the user regarding helping themselves in the future? Do we teach/mentor in addition to providing fixes? I learned from online forums in that way - and believe that it's a part of our responsibility to the user.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone, I rolled back SP3 to SP2 and that solved both problems.

Thanks again. Looks like I'll be avoiding SP3 for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users