Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Navigate To Certain Websites

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 foothegreat

foothegreat

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hey there,

I am using windows vista home premium.

I cant go to websites like soccernet.com or facebook.com, 2 of my favourite websites. I can access all other websites. It says page cant be displayed. This problem started yesterday. Whats the problem? spyware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

Try clearing your temp. files, history, and cookies. See if that helps
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 foothegreat

foothegreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

Hey,

I have cleaned up my temp internet files, cookies, history, cache, registry, just about everything else.

The problem still exists..

#4 BigBoyTN

BigBoyTN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

Your internet security settings maybe to high. Have you tried setting them to default?

#5 foothegreat

foothegreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Tried it. But problem still exists

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

Have you tried another browser? Try Firefox (free here: http://www.mozilla.com ). Opera and Safari are also free AFAIK.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 BigBoyTN

BigBoyTN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

Safari, Opera, Avant Browser are indeed FREE!! They are all good browsers. BTW what version of Internet Explorer are you using?

#8 Carolyn

Carolyn

Bleepin' kitten

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Do you have a DSL or cable modem and/or a router?

If so, turn them off. Wait a while (30-60 seconds). Turn the modem back on. Once the modem lights settle down, turn on the router.

Sounds improbable, but sometimes it's the modem and router which are not resolving the DNS correctly.
Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Posted Image

#9 foothegreat

foothegreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:10 PM

I have tried using mozilla too. Same problem. I am using wireless internet connection, no router or modem used. The funny thing is i am only having problems going into 2 sites: soccernet.com and facebook.com

#10 Carolyn

Carolyn

Bleepin' kitten

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:15 AM

I am using wireless internet connection, no router or modem used.

Well, the wireless signal comes from somewhere.

If you are only using a public access point, such as a library or internet cafe, then you are essentially correct - you do have control over the connection.

If you are using wireless at home, then there is a router, probably with the wireless access point built in.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

I occasionally find that I am unable to access one or two sites with my laptop/wireless connection. Resetting the modem and/or router fixes that problem for me.
Posted Image

#11 foothegreat

foothegreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

I access my internet wirelessly from home without a router or modem too. Theres a wireless hotspot in my area and i just enter my username and password i have with the internet service provider to connect.

#12 Carolyn

Carolyn

Bleepin' kitten

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

Can you try a different wireless hotspot? If you are able to access those web sites from another hotspot, that would narrow the problem down to your ISP.
Posted Image

#13 foothegreat

foothegreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

Amazingly the problem has suddenly disappeared. Still using from home, didnt try any other hotspots. Hmm strange. Anyway thanks guys for all your help.

#14 Carolyn

Carolyn

Bleepin' kitten

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

Cool! Happy surfing :huh:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users