Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Reboot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fadaching

fadaching

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:06 AM

ok, what i have is a dell inspiron 1525 laptop with windows vista 32bit.

i have to reinstalled vista on it, but my hard drive is still saying ive used like 70Gb of space, and i cant connect to the internet or any thing. i have all the disks that came with it, but now i have no idea what to do. do i have to sinatll stuff off the disk that says "drivers and utilities?" and if so, what? i really need help asap please. rather get this taken care of befor mom finds out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
That'll open the Device Manager - which will show you which devices are having problems (by the yellow !'s or red x's)
Those are the devices that you'll need to install.

First, read this article on the order in which to install Dell device drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

If you can't tell what the devices are, right click on the device and select "Properties",
then select the Details tab, and in the dropdown box select "Hardware ID"
From the hardware ID, get the 4 characters after the VEN_ and the DEV_
Then go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and look up the Vendor ID/ Device ID there - it'll have a description of the device.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fadaching

fadaching
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

ok, that worked great and thank you very much. but why dose drive C still say its 56% full? when theres nothing on it. its defreggin now, will that fix it?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:51 AM

Go to Start, then to Computer and check to see how much space is occupied (in gB) According to Dell, the 1525 comes with an 80, 120, 160 or 250 gB hard drive. That would mean that 50% is 40, 60, 80, or 125 gB

If that is the case, then use this free program to see what's hogging the disk space: http://w3.win.tue.nl/en/research/research_...on/sequoiaview/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fadaching

fadaching
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

ok, says 66.8GB free of 136.

ok, i see these 3 files "windows old" 0,1, and 2. is this the back up of my old files? and can i delet them?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

Right click on each of the windows old directories and select "Properties" - then see how much space is being taken by them.

As for deleting them, it's OK to delete them as long as there's nothing in there that you want to save. Once you delete them you won't be able to revert back to the older versions (if you wanted to).

DO NOT delete the one that's just plain "Windows" - that's essential for Windows to run on your system.

Edited by usasma, 29 June 2008 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users