Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Error At Start Up?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Just got this...What does it mean?

Posted Image

Here's what was in the technical information section:

Posted Image

Thanks!
---

Edited by TTC, 27 June 2008 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

Hello TTC,

That is just a message informing you that windows has encountered an error. The message does not tell what the error is it just tells us that there was an error.

To find out what this error is you will need to have a look in the event viewer which can be found in the control panel under administrative tools. Open the event viewer and look in the application, security, and system tabs for warnings or errors around the time this message displays.

Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

Well I found this error message in system....:

Date: 6/27/2008
Time: 5:59 PM
Type: Error
Event ID: 1003
Source: System Error

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bfb08ae9, parameter3 95aea67c, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I also found this sometime after that:

Time: 6:54 PM
Type: Warning
Event ID: 4226
Source: Tcip

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Any idea what these messages mean?

/edit: I've looked through the rest of the system event log; I seem to get the tcip one from time to time...every couple of days from the looks of it. It hasn't caused me any problems with my computer though..I think. At least, not any noticeable ones.

Edited by TTC, 27 June 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:04 AM

If these errors don't go back further than a couple of weeks try doing a system restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Edited by dc3, 28 June 2008 - 12:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:33 AM

The problem with that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153971/win32rootkitagent/
This was fairly recent....

I had a trojan (or most likely a false positive) in my system restore; I had to do a full disable and re-enable of them to clean it out. I only have restores from when I installed a new program as well as an automatic restore point that was done another time. The TCIP errors go back to before a couple of weeks ago, but it seems to have not effected anything.

As for any other odd boot up messages...I haven't gotten anything particularly odd.I haven't run into that same error message at boot up since I got it that one time. Could it be possible it was just a one time occurrence. Do you think I should just leave things be?

Edited by TTC, 28 June 2008 - 01:37 AM.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

The error message says TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

By default windows allows a certain number of connection attempts, this is to limit the spread of malware.
You can try increasing the amount of concurrent connections allowed, but first you should run your AV products.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/ (just to be sure)
Regards,

Alan.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e
Parameter 1 is c0000005 - which indicates that the problem was while accessing your memory.
So, most likely this is either a malware infection or an issue with one of your drivers (although it can also be due to bad hardware).

If this is the first (and only) time that you got this error - just wait and see if you get more. Sometimes these are just transient things that just happen. If it's a real problem, it'll reappear and then we can start troubleshooting it.

FWIW - there's more information contained in the Mini042808-01.dmp file. You may also be able to locate the same file in C:\Windows\Minidump For more information on how to analyze these files, try this link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
If you perform an analysis, post the results here for us to have a look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

The error message says TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

By default windows allows a certain number of connection attempts, this is to limit the spread of malware.
You can try increasing the amount of concurrent connections allowed, but first you should run your AV products.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/ (just to be sure)

Well back when I had that false positive issue, after cleaning out the thing in the system restore I ran an ad-aware 2007, spybot, AVG and Kapersky online scan one at a time. (This was just days ago. Once again see: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153971/win32rootkitagent/ ) And these did not find any malware....But then again, I did all of those scans in normal mode not safe mode. Do you think I should look deeper into it?

I do run a lot of programs that need internet access when using my computer though. (Numerous messengers, games, etc) Could that be what caused this message?

#9 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

Here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e
Parameter 1 is c0000005 - which indicates that the problem was while accessing your memory.
So, most likely this is either a malware infection or an issue with one of your drivers (although it can also be due to bad hardware).

If this is the first (and only) time that you got this error - just wait and see if you get more. Sometimes these are just transient things that just happen. If it's a real problem, it'll reappear and then we can start troubleshooting it.

FWIW - there's more information contained in the Mini042808-01.dmp file. You may also be able to locate the same file in C:\Windows\Minidump For more information on how to analyze these files, try this link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
If you perform an analysis, post the results here for us to have a look at.

That old minidump file seems to be from the time when my computer had overheating issues (which have been fixed) ; at one point there was a piece of hardware within the system that got so hot, it started warming up the hardware around it. It eventually got so hot that it started a BSOD. Luckily this was resolved by taking the side panel off of the tower and using a desk fan to blow on the piece of hardware that got so hot (the graphics card). All temps are average in there now, and I haven't gotten a BSOD since.

Yesterday before I shut down my computer and got the "low virtual memory" error message (got the error message in Game Guard, which is a thing that comes with one of my games) I had a LOT of programs open, including one that's prone to memory leaking and can be a bit buggy. It had been my first time using a voice chatting function in the buggy program, and was causing me and my friend both lagging issues. When I closed that program and shut off the computer...it was the next time I turned on the computer that I got the error message I posted in the first post.

Could've this been caused by a malfunction/low virtual memory issue caused by all the programs I had open? What about that buggy program I was using?

Edited by TTC, 28 June 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

This was also the same error that you got on 6/27/08 (didn't notice the different dates when I first read it): I've bolded the significant entries below:

Time: 5:59 PM
Type: Error
Event ID: 1003
Source: System Error

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bfb08ae9, parameter3 95aea67c, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

As you've had 2 of these errors in the last couple of months, I'd recommend finding the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and checking the dates of the files there. Perform an anlysis of the most recent one and post the results here.

Low virtual memory is usually caused by a program not releasing the virtual memory that it's allocated for itself (although having too many programs open can also cause this). This can either be due to malware, a corrupt pagefile, Windows problems, or a corrupt/malfunctioning/poorly designed program.

IME the most common problems are (in order)
1) Corrupt/malfunctioning/poorly designed programs/drivers
2) Malware
3) Having too many programs open
4) Corrupt pagefile
5) Windows issues

I'd suggest trying to run for a while with only one program open at a time. If that works, then open 2, then 3, etc. If you know which is the most likely to be buggy - open it last since it will be most likely to show the bug then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

Uh...I think we're maybe confusing each other a bit. (Either that or I'm just confused? D: lol.) Hang on, I'll start over.

1. When I got the low virtual memory error in gameguard (not windows error), I had skype (for text chats), YIM (the said buggy program; & trust me....this thing is buggy ; was using the voice chatting function in it) , Firefox, and the game client open. That may not sound like a lot to some, but with my current computer system specs it turned out to be overkill. Since I cut down on the number of processes, I haven't encountered any more error messages yet. : )

2. The error I reported in the beginning of this thread was recent and followed after the "low virtual memory" episode. I restarted my computer after I got this message, it was gone; I haven't gotten it again since.

3. I checked the minidump folder; there's only one minidump entry...and that was from the time things were overheating. Its dated April 28, 2008. There are no other minidump entries.

Edited by TTC, 28 June 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

When the system hits a bug check/STOP error, it saves a copy of the memory dump to your pagefile (as long as the pagefile is big enough and it's on the same drive as the OS). Then, if you have it enabled, it'll save the memory dump as a dump file when it's rebooted.

Several things can contribute to this. Does your pagefile exist on the same place as your operating system? You can tell this if there's a file called pagefile.sys in the root of your C: drive. What size is it? It's recommended that it be at least as big as your memory in order to store the memory dumps. Finally, is Windows set to record the memory dump when it happens? To check this, go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the Window that opens, click on the Advanced tab, then on the Startup and Recovery Settings button.
Then look at the area where it says "Write debugging information" If it says Complete Memory Dump, you may find the dump file at the area specified in that window (usually your Windows directory). You can use that dump file to perform an analysis - but it may be large and cumbersome to use.

I set it to "Kernel memory dump" which usually makes it much smaller, but still contains most information that you'll need. I also point it at the Minidump folder to store the dumps. The kernel dump and the Minidump folder are usually the default locations - but the computer that I'm using right now (at the wife's office) is set for the complete memory dump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users