Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook Freezes On Startup Everytime

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sixth_Rule

Sixth_Rule

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Windows XP media center edition serv pack 2

Acer aspire 5050 notebook (wireless)
AMD Turion 64 x 2
ATI radion express 1100
1GB DDRw Ram

Computer will always load the desktop background picture.

somtimes it freezes here with the mouse stuck on the center of the screen and no icons.
sometimes mouse will work until about 5 seconds after icons load and then becomes absolutly impossibel to use.
sometimes icons show up but mouse is stuck in the middle of the screen.

No key comands or mouse buttons ever do anything, including alt control delete.

at this point I am always left with holding the power button until the computer restarts. there have been to times where this doesn't even work and i have to remove the battery

in safe mode i have tried

system restore
Norton antivirus scan
chckdsk
system restore
diagnostic setup

none have shown any problems or helped at all

any ideas??

this is my first post, though this site is quicky becomming a common destination :thumbsup: this place rocks

Edited by Sixth_Rule, 27 June 2008 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hello Sixth_Rule. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

This doesn't look all that bright :thumbsup: . Do you have your XP disks still? If so they will be useful should we need to do a repair install.

To help us diagnose the problem, please look in your Event Viewer for any errors and copy them back here.

If you can still transfer files to that computer, you can do this to dump all the warnings and errors in your event logs.
  • Download dumpel.exe by Microsoft and save it to your desktop.
  • Copy the following into a notepad. Do not copy the word "Code".
    @ECHO OFF
    ECHO Please wait.
    ECHO Logs Dumped at Date:%date% Time:%time%>EventLogDump.txt
    dumpel -l system -c -format tdTISus >systemlogdumptemp.txt
    find /v ",4," systemlogdumptemp.txt>>EventLogDump.txt
    del systemlogdumptemp.txt
    dumpel -l application -c -format tdTISus>applogdumptemp.txt
    find /v ",4," applogdumptemp.txt>>EventLogDump.txt
    del applogdumptemp.txt
    del dumpel.exe
    start EventLogDump.txt
    del %0
  • Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input logdump.bat.
  • Hit OK.
Double click logdump.bat. The script should take only a moment to run. When it is finished, a text file named EventLogDump.txt (saved on your desktop) will open.

Reply back with EventLogDump.txt copied into your post (or attached since it can be quite large).

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Sixth_Rule

Sixth_Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

I wish to do both of the things u asked but feel i am unable to

regarding event viewer

# When the Event Viewer window opens, you'll see 2 panes (see picture above). The pane on the left will contain the 3 categories of events (they are Application, Security, and System). The pane on the right will reflect the messages for the category that is selected on the left. They will be listed as Information, Warnings, or Errors. Errors are what will concern us here.

I see 6 categories not 3 the other ones are ACEEventLog, Internet Exporer and Media Center

# Left click once on the Application category in the left hand pane - then check the right hand pane for errors. Locate an error (example in the System description below) that occurred around the time of the problem (there may or may not be one here depending on the type of error). Then, right click on it and select "Properties". The information in the resulting window may be able to be used by board members to help troubleshoot your problem. Here's an example of it:

When I Left Click on Application (or any other catagory ) i get the following message

[IMAGINE BIG RED X HERE] Unable to complete the operation on "Application" the interface is unknown

when i try to install dumpel i get BIG YELLOW EXCLAMATION and the system administrator has set polocies to prevent this instalation

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

Done a thorough series of checks for malware?

I see that you state that you ran NAV in safe mode...but what version of NAV? Is it current with AV definitions?

What other scans have you done for malware (e.g., Spybot, Windows Defender, SuperAntispyware, etc.)? There is no one program that can possibly cope with all the various forms of malware that abound.

Louis

#5 Sixth_Rule

Sixth_Rule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

It WORKED...............and now it doesn't

While it worked i did download and run spybot.

it found three bots and killed them

Also when it worked the first time it loaded up in diagnostic mode at startup(which had previouly not worked), then i restarted it in normal mode twice and it worked again. (thats when i ran spybot) then when i awoke this mourning to run a defrag on it , Same problem as before.

also sometimes it take FOREVER to open up in safe mode, but not always.

I actually got event viewer to work, but silly me i figured if it would work once it would work forever and i tried to recreate the events that led to the computer working again in the first place and restarted the computer.

I have all the same problems as before and even had to take the battery out to restart the computer.

now no event viewer !,

Any ideas??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users