Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add & Remove MB Mesurements?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hi faithful home grown experts,

Another question for you. I've found in removing and reinstalling programs from MS's Add & Remove to try to solve program problems that I end up with ever increasing MB measurements in Add & Remove for these programs. In particular four of SBC Yahoo's programs, Their Anti Spy, Their DSL Activation, their Extras and their Install Manager. Now I contacted SBC Yahhoo about it and they said that Add & Remove removes the programs from the registry but not from the hard drive. They said that defragmenting would solve the problem. I don't know how many times I've defragemented before and after hearing this from SBC Yahoo. But it doesn't get rid of the extra MBs on MS's Add & Remove Panel. So my question for all you wonderful home spun experts is obviously:
How do you get rid of the extra MBs from MS's Add & Remove? If there are extra copies on the hard drive I'd rather not have them there. How would you get rid of the extra copies on the hard drive as well!!! That should get rid of them from Add & Remove, no? Please enlighten me revered experts!!!
Also another tantalizing tidbit for the can't get away from self proclaimed computer expert problem solver in us. My system keeps throwing up the "error 'framedyn.dll' is missing and therefore can not start this program, reinstalling the program may solve this problem" for a number of programs and then it goes ahead and starts the program anyhow. I have reinstalled some of these programs but with the no change. The same error continues to pop up.
It's kind of annoying for this to keep happening. Anyone have an idea on how to deal with this? I'd appreciate you're input. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 09 April 2005 - 02:59 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Try this for your "framedyn.dll" error:
"Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found"
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

Hi tg1911,

Thank you for the tip on 'framedyn.dll'. It worked. The last part about properties on My Computer did the trick. It's all cleared up. Now for the first question about extra MB-copies of programs on the hard drive? Anyone know how to handle that? Please check main body question for it. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John

Edited by Johnz414, 10 April 2005 - 02:47 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

What they told you is correct, technically; when you use add/remove programs you do not actually delete them from your hard drive, but are left in the position like someone who has torn out the table of contents to a book; the actual chapters remain (although in the case of computers, the operating system cannot see them and "thinks" they are gone). Deleting applications should reduce what Windows shows as "used" on your hard drive (assuming you knew the total before and after removing).
You could determine if you have duplicate programs by doing a search for "SBC" etc. to see if anything but perhaps a folder or two remains.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hi jgweed,

Thanks for the understanding. It's great to know how this stuff works. I did try your advice to do a search. It didn't bring any extra programs up. So I'm still kind of baffled as to why the Add & Remove programs page still reads all the extra MBs if it's not suppose to know they are there? Anyhow, everything does seem to work OK which has been most of my concern. I just thought that if the old programs with the problems in them were still being read that it might cause a problem. That's how come I was hoping to be able to find them and remove them. If there is a way to still remove them I'd love to but from what you said and from what I remember also I guess I don't have to worry to much about it. But then again if you keep adding more used space to your hard drive especially if you're only removing the table of contents from them how come it doesn't fill up? If you're there to shed some light on that. Thanks.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 12 April 2005 - 02:50 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users