Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop: C000021a {fatal System Error}

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pat666

pat666

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi all:

I'm looking for any suggestions for a system error message I've just started getting. When I try to start my pc I get as far as the Windows logon screen and then it hangs with this message:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I tried to get into safe mode and also tried "Use last known good configuration" without success. Is this a software or hardware issue and can I try anything before reloading the operating system? If I have to try to reload will I lose everything on the drive?

This is an older pc - Compaq Presario (approx 7 years old), running WindowsXP Home, sp2 and had all available updates. I haven't added or removed any software recently. The only thing unusual in the recent past was a power outage two days ago, but it was running fine yesterday. Today I played World of Warcraft for a short time then downloaded updates for SuperAntiSpyware and Adaware, shut the pc down and when I tried to turn it on, started getting this message.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. If it comes to an operating system reload, I'd be grateful for any suggestions for saving existing data on the drive.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at a few of the links below:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=X...amp;btnG=Search

Seems to be a varied phenomenon, which means it will probably take time to resolve.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

A brief description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x21a
In short, Windows' security has been compromised - so it won't work until you fix the security issue.

The "0xc0000005" part means that the error occurred in your memory. Most likely this was either caused by the power outage or malware. If the power outage caused it, there may be other damage that isn't obvious at this point.

Since you can't boot into Windows, your choices are a bit limited.
First, I'd suggest that you run this free, bootable memory diagnostic: http://www.memtest86.com/
As a "just to be sure" measure, I'd also run a free, bootable hard drive diagnostic (available at the support website for the manufacturer of your hard drive).
If you pass those 2 tests, then I'd suggest a repair installation of Windows XP. If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964. Then the instructions for the repair install are located here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

FWIW - older HP/Compaq's had a System Recovery function that would do a Non-Destructive recovery. This is equivalent to the repair install mentioned above.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the links and see what I can find out.

#5 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hello again: Here is an update (unfortunately not a solution yet) on my issue. My son's pc just did the same thing while upgrading from Ad-Aware 2007 to 2008! He was going to update definitions and a window popped up saying that new components were available. He clicked ok to download, and 2008 was installed without a hitch. When he restarted the pc, however, he got a BSOD with this message:

Stop: c0000145 {Application Error} The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

The only way out was to power down the pc. When he restarted it, he got the message:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

The last message now appears when trying to start the pc normally or in safe mode. I also tried using last known good configuration without success. This is the same problem that the first pc has. That pc also has Ad-Aware 2008 installed and although the installation hadn't given any problems I do recall that once in a while after updating components or definitions it would give an error message and say it had to shut down. Everything would work fine, though, after restarting the pc. What I would like to try before wiping the drive and reloading the operating system is removing Ad-Aware.

I have a hard drive enclosure so I can pull the drive and hook it up as an external slave and access the files. How can I remove the program? Is it enough to delete the Lavasoft folder or are there other concerns since I can't use its uninstall feature or access "Add/Remove Programs" from the control panel? Also, if I delete the folder, do I have to worry about the registry entries?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

I stopped using Ad-Aware about 6 months ago...because I started having system problems that disappeared when I uninstalled the 2008 version.

There are other programs that probably also do a better job, e.g. SUPERAntispyware.

I use a combination of firewall, AV, SAS, Spybot, and Windows Defender to try to keep my systems clean. Seems to work.

Also...sometimes we tend to forget that various software have drivers (firewall, AV, malware-defense, video, etc.) and that those drivers can cause a STOP error just as easily as hardware drivers which are not the best.

Louis

#7 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the response. If, as I suspect, it turns out that Ad-Aware is the culprit, I certainly will stop using it. However my question remains - is it enough to just delete the folder to remove it if I can access the files on the drive but can't boot from it?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

No...every program installed consists of two things, file entries and registry entries.

Deleting the file entries (every one) still leaves the registry entries behind, which may play havoc with system functioning. Both registry entries and file entries can be found in any complete review of startup items on any Windows system...and these things are not limited to just startup entries.

When a user uninstalls a program properly via Add/Remove Programs/the program uninstaller...in theory, it removes both footprints from the system. In actuality, some debris may remain behind (either as file or registry entries) if the uninstaller is faulty or the program is written in such manner so that the installer does not accurately remove all debris.

AFAIK, the only way to remove registry entries...is from within the O/S in which such entries are installed. Or by obliterating the O/S installation where such entries reside. There may be other ways but I am not aware of such.

Louis

#9 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the response. I knew that there was more involved than just deleting the program files. I worded my question badly. What I should have said was If I delete the program files, might that be enough to allow me to boot up the pc and then go in and clean up the rest? I have since found out that in this case the answer is no. I tried deleting the Lavasoft folder and it still won't boot up, although when trying safe mode it actually got further along in the process before hanging up so I think I might be on the right track.

Does anyone know of of an application I can use to get into the XP registry (when it's not loaded/running if that makes a difference) so I can do a little search and destroy? You used to be able to do it in Windows 95 but I don't know about XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users