Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring XP folder contents to alphabetized?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 markss

markss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

I hate to admit this, but I can't figure out how to restore XP control panel contents to an alphabetized classic view, insted of being grouped so everything starting with "A" is in one group, with a bold heading of A, then there are spaces, and everything starting with "B" is in the next group, and so on. Sometimes I goof and clicked too many times on the "name" column heading and this happens in normal folders. I think I've gotten it back to normal by clicking on the "name" column heading a few times (it's always a pain), but I can't get that to work in control panel now. This time I was working to change from classic view to the new Category View in control panel, when there wasn't an option to do that on the left. I finally got the new catagroy view by going to tools, options, and changing general tab, Tasks, to "Show common tasks in folders", instead of "Use Windows classic Folders". That also perminantly brought back the change option on the left It affected only some things, like "My Computer" and Control Panel, but it dosen't affect directories, like the contents of C:, or sub-directories under it. This is so strange. Viewing "My Computer" give me fits too. I can't get it to show drives in letter order. It does a catagory view too.

Any ideas how all this works, especially undoing catagory view in the control panel?

Thanks,
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:05 PM

Go into Control Panel, then Click VIEW. And Make Sure that you are set on TILES, then click on VIEW again and make sure that under ARRANGE ICONS BY there is nothing checked (I'm guessing that you have "SHOW IN GROUPS" checked marked by accident).

Optional: Then if that is the view you want for all folders Click TOOLS-->FOLDER OPTIONS, then click on the VIEW Tab and then click APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users