Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates Trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayparmar

jayparmar

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hello everyone!

I am starting to get really annoyed with this problem!

One day, I logged on to my Windows XP Proffesional Service Pack 2 (recently installed) computer, and all of a sudden that annoying bubbler pops up from the system tray telling me that Automatic Updates is turned off.

Oh that's easy, I thought, just click te bubble, and click TURN ON AUTOMATIC UPDATES, then it should be sorted.

BUT BEING A BLEEPING COMPUTER, something was bound to go wrong!

I have followed the guides from Microsoft and the other thousands of users that have suffered from this flaw, but none work.

I have tried all te fiddling around with Services, and enabling AU and BITS and whatnot...tried many different tools available like Dial-a-fix and WURP, even Microsoft's own AU Repair Agent, but with no avail.

I restart my computer and everything after running all these rereshing applications, but as soon as I try to turn AU on, it comes up with that 'helpful' tip that you may need to go into services blah blah been there done that got the ******* t-shirt! Also I have noticed the error 1058 or 1508 - something like that crop up in that help box every now and again, but NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I have actually had nightmares about that pop-up bubble telling me that Automatic Updates are turned off. HHEELLPP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gcdeegan

gcdeegan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

i got a virus that wiped my laptop last week, it started exactly like that, it then went and wiped all my system restore points off. if that has'nt happened yet, do a back up immediately.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

Have you tried scanning for possible malware?

Have you tried a repair install of XP?

Is Auto Updates your only complaint about this system's behavior?

Louis

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

Have you looked in the event viewer? It might shed some light on any problems. The event viewer can be found in administrative tools in the control panel. What version of Internet Explorer are you using? might be a bad activex control.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 naser

naser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Hi
I had aproblem just like yours ,it took me ages to sort out and tried everything.
LAVASOFT ADWARE got rid of this problem.but you must have ad-watch on to prevent the adware from coming back
good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users