Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troj/Psyme-A

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:54 AM

Troj/Psyme-A is a script Trojan that exploits an Internet Explorer vulnerability that allows scripts to manipulate local files by exploiting the ADODB.Stream object.
This HTML script malware contains instructions to download a file from a certain Web page. It then executes and overwrites the Windows Media Player file.
Troj/Psyme-A attempts to download and execute BiLLGaTeS.exe from http://bgates.topcities.com/, replacing wmplayer.exe from the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ folder.
Read the bulletin and download the patch at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS04-013.mspx.
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

Yes, Notorious, it would seem this particular crapware is around as a new variant "in the wild", and active once again.
Since the middle 1990's it would seem some folks like to file share virus/trojan/worm infection techniques, and aim to improve their methods
of infecting computers world wide.
In Hamburg, Germany, they used to meet at a place to trade secrets.
They called it Chaos Computer Club or something like that.
Not nice fellows, IMHO.
They would profess the value of fouling up computers for some strange reason.
They still do.
Thats why we'll find trojans bearing mixed bags of tricks that are no more or less than the re-hashed favoritesfrom yester-year.
Since not everyone is updated at all times, and since there are several versions of Windows to mess around with,
they can practice the dark crafts with successful results, trying to re-establish their supremacy over the millions of little lambs
that know nothing of the ways they play.

one
two
three
four

If you want up-to-date information on the activities of the "good guys", as they counter the effects of those others
who have chosen to invade, for sport or profit, the PC as we use it,
just spend a little time at the above links and sign up for the email notifications.
There are several other companies that have been in business seven years or so
doing what Sophos does, and also will share that information to any
who are interested in it. Google the major anti-virus companies.

You will run the risk of joining in the battle to some extent, though.
Essentially playing their game with them as they continue it.
Kind of a drag, really. Knowing it goes on as it does.
Better to know than not to, I guess.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users