Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kevg

kevg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hello
I have a Hp Business notebook 530, and want to upgrade the hard drive from the original 80GB. The HP site only lists a 120Gb as an upgrade. I have looked around and would prefer going bigger again. Does anybody know if this will cause problems, as in not being recognised by the system.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

No problems
NewEgg- laptop hard drives
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

It shouldn't be too difficult, you should keep a few things in mind. First, is the interface, is it ATA or SATA? Second, if it is C: you're upgrading, make sure you have your Windows (Assuming that's your operating system) disc ready so you can install the OS.

3939.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

The HP 530 has a SATA hdd, so any of the hard drives at the Newegg site that link was provided for will work. A while back there was a limitation of 137GB hdds being recognized, this changed with the addition of SP4 in W2k, SP2 in XP, and Vista has it covered without any enhancement.

Because this is a laptop there is one consideration that hasn't been mentioned, and that is the speed of the hdd. Most laptops are shipped with hdds that operate at 5400 RPM, this is to conserve on the battery's A/H capacity, the faster 7200 RPM drives draw more wattage. If you are going to be working from home where the laptop can be plugged in regularly you may wish to go with the faster 7200 RPM hdd, there is a difference in performance.

As previously mentioned, you will need to make sure that you have the installation disc for the operating system, you should also have the twenty character product code when you go to install the OS. You may have to call MS to validate your computer, changing the hdd out will change how it is recognized by MS for updates.

If you need any information on removing the old hdd and installing the new one, check out this web site.

Have you considered purchasing an external case for the smaller hdd so that you can use if for storage?

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2008 - 10:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kevg

kevg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies
prefer to upgrade internal rather than external so i have ordered a 320Gb.

Much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users