Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Cell Protection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speytone

speytone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

I just made a spreadsheet and i have formuals in certain rows i do not want to have changed. I understand to protect things i have to protect the sheet. But becasue some people will be needed to make changes to different variables i need to have certain cells "unlocked" so that they can go in and freely input there info on a weekly basis but not have the ability to delete the forumlas i wish to have locked in.

Can anyone help me please.

Time is of the essence.

Im handing the reigns over on monday.....

Thanks for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Protect the entire sheet. Then unprotect cells you allow to change.

#3 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

Yea ifigured thats what i have to do. but when i go to format those cells to unprotect it its not letting me choose the format feature?

Am i missing something. I password protected it when i protected it. Does that have something ot do with it.

I think im missing something

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:21 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote.
Once a cell is protected, none of the editing functions work, be it editing values, formats, column widths etc, most menu items are disabled.
If you're trying to unprotect a protected cell, I'd think reversing the process would work - unprotect the sheet, edit, reprotect again for the cells you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users