Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding Product Key For Windows Xp But I Cannot Boot My Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhornberger

jhornberger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hello,

I was trying to do a "install repair" on my laptop to remedy some major problems I was having. I followed procedures given to me to "install repair" which basically requires you to reload XP. After I started the process and XP was reloading on the computer, the window came up asking for the "product key". The product key is long gone. Is there any way to located the product key on the Windows XP CD using another computer (since my laptop will not even boot up now). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to have to purchase Windows XP again. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

On BleepingComputer, we aren't allowed to discuss this because even if you are doing this for a legit reason, someone could come along and read this post and use the information for non-legit reasons.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

If XP was originally loaded on this laptop by the manufacturer, there will usually be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. It will state the Windows Version and the Product Key (long series of letters and numbers). If you have upgraded from a previous version (such as 98) then it won't do you any good. Unfortunately, if you have lost the jacket that your XP CD came in there isn't much hope that you can find it. The key is not included anywhere on the CD so trying to search for it on another computer will be useless.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

Thank you for replying. No further posts are needed for this. I did not think of the non-legit aspect of it. Thank you.

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Per our board rules, this thread is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users