Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Squeaking Sound.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Smile

Iron Smile

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

yesterday i started hearing a squeaking sound thru the speakers when a page was loading, when the computer was turning on and when the computer would come back from stand by. well i thought it was just my speakers going bad, so i unplugged them cause it was getting on my nurves, but then i started hearing it faintly thru the tower. Now its not too loud, but just loud enough for you to hear it, and you dont even hear it coming out of the tower when the speakers are plugged up, cause its so loud through the speakers.

Does anyone know what this is or what i can do to stop it? cause its getting annoying, and i dont want the computer to like, crash or anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Squealing would be the indication of a bad bearing. The only things the rotate inside a computer would be the hard drive or fans. More than likely the fans
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hey! Are you sure that the squeaking is coming from the speakers?? If not, there could be a possibility that it's your fan.. and you really don't want that to go out!

#4 Iron Smile

Iron Smile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

Yes im sure its thru the headphones, cause i put my ear next to the headphones and it was coming outta it. coult it possibly be the fan and its just somehow coming out of the headphones? cause when i unplug the speaker, i still hear it, but not as loud cause its jut coming out of the tower.

#5 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

It is most likely what garmanma suggested.
The headphones and/or speakers are just amplifying the sound through vibration, since you did say you heard the sounds with the speakers unplugged.
I would remove the side panel from the tower (making sure it's turned off and unplugged) and clean out the dust using a can of compressed air and make sure you hold the fan blades still while blowing out the dust. Once cleaned out (leave the side panel off for now) plug it back in and turn it on and check for the squealing again, if it's still making noise you should be able to pinpoint which fan or drive is making the noise and replace if need be. If it just happens to be the CPU fan, I would shut it down pronto and replace it immediately. Running a computer with a faulty CPU fan will cause heat damage and you definitely don't want that to happen.
If it's your hard drive, (don't panic yet) just backup your important stuff to disc or if you already have a second drive, just transfer everything to that drive and remove the bad one.

Hope this helps
Don

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#6 Iron Smile

Iron Smile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

I finally talked to my uncle about it, and he said he doesnt think its my hard drive, cause its a beep, and im beginning to think it has something to do with the sound or something, i dunno how to explain it, but like, when i hover over a link, it beeps, when i have a few things opened up, like Internet explorer and my pictures, and i move from one to the other, it beeps, when i hover over bookmarks, it beeps, do you knw what to do about that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users