Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Some Parts. Still Need Cpu And Motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rockhead21784

rockhead21784

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

I had done months of research and was starting to slowly buy parts, to help wiht the budget. I have bought some parts from Newegg over the past couple of months. I was waiting on the motherboard to lower in price (GIG GA-MA69GM-S2H) (AMD AM2 board) and they deactivated it. Guess you can't wait in this business, things become old fast.

NO GAMING. I might decide to do some video transfering(editing) from my camcorder to my DVD's. Other than that just normal home use.

Anyway what I have so far is:
1. A nice big case for standard ATX or smaller
2. Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
3. SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD Burner
4. Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
5. Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply 100

Very small budget. My original plan was $200.00 or less for both board and processor combined.

Should I stick with AMD or go with the Intel chips? Its been about 5 months since I have roamed the forums and prices probably have dropped. Anyway thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

With a $200 budget for the processor and motherboard, I would choose AMD.

For the motherboard, I would choose something such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128090 . I thought it looked pretty good because it has one of, if not, the best integrated graphics chipsets you can get. The one thing I was worried about was that crucial ballistix uses higher voltages for the ram, those sticks might cause trouble with that board. I think it should be fine though because it's standard is 1066mhz ram which generally run at higher voltages.

This processor would probably be a good pick for you http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103212 . you can look through others though and see if you can find better deals. I don't think you would need anything much better than that though. Each .1ghz doesn't really make that much difference and that is one of the better price/performance processors.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

Your board at Amazon
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 rockhead21784

rockhead21784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

I had finally decided on the GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H, but now it is already not sold on newegg(deactiviated). Anyone have anymore ideas on something close to that board. My price is under $100.00. I finally have money saved up to buy one. Thanks Dave

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

I suggest waiting a week or two, if you can. We are currently in the post-holiday reduction cycle.

Methinks prices are going down and inventory items will have been written down...no one can justify increasing inventory prices in today's economy.

I may be wrong, but combine all the different changes and I suspect that there will be some very good bargains available 23-31 Jan 09.

Louis

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

Also, if you plan on buying a new AMD chip keep in mind that in a day or so they will be launching the Phenom II's which may affect prices. Also, you should disregard the product suggestions in the posts from June. In the world of tech, that was ages ago. The BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard is a good choice, so is the ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.

3939.png

#7 rockhead21784

rockhead21784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone. Keep ideas coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users