Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Setting Up A Vpn

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:44 AM

As well as web development, I also look after the local network and PCs at work, although I don't have much experience in setting this up. I just get by on what I know and call somebody in to do the more advanced tasks when required. However, I'd like to learn more and our external IT consultant is unavailable for a while now, leaving me to work stuff out myself.

I'm relishing the task, but am struggling with setting up a VPN to allow users to log in to the network from home.

This is what I would like to occur.

1. Setup a VPN server on the network.

2. Setup a VPN connection to this VPN server on the remote users' laptops.

3. Users authenticate themselves to the VPN server using their domain username and password I have setup for them.

4. Setup Outlook on their laptops to receive their e-mail from the exchange server on the network when they are connected to the VPN.

5. I'd also like them to have access to a mapped drive that exists on the network.

Is this possible? And if so, how easy/difficult is it to set up?

I've tried searching the internet for tutorials on setting up a VPN server and client connection, but they all refer to dialup.

Maybe I'm not understanding the concept correctly.

Our network is protected by our router firewall.

Is anybody able to assist or to give me some "will definitely work" tutorial link?

Many thanks

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hi, I found lots of links through google. I have never tried to do this but have a read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308208
MCP
MSDST

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

Just to add hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en I think it can do most of your requirements.

1. Setup a VPN server on the network.
Hamachi would host the network

2. Setup a VPN connection to this VPN server on the remote users' laptops.
If the client is on each laptop then they can connect to the network

3. Users authenticate themselves to the VPN server using their domain username and password I have setup for them.
If the network is password protected then users would need a password in order to connect. not sure about individual passwords.

4. Setup Outlook on their laptops to receive their e-mail from the exchange server on the network when they are connected to the VPN.
Not sure about this

5. I'd also like them to have access to a mapped drive that exists on the network.
If the drive is shared then the users can access it.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

Thanks guys I'll give these a good look

#5 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

Hamachi has done the job brilliantly. I've now got a laptop connecting to our server remotely through this. I've got e-mail working locally on the laptop, bringing down exchange server e-mails when connected. Also got a mapped drive working as well. Perfect. Many thanks nigglesnush85 :thumbsup:

Edited by WelshSteve, 01 July 2008 - 10:34 AM.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users