Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Freeze On Start-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jas009

jas009

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hello

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have been having with my computer for sometime now.

When I turn on my machine sometimes it freezes on the Windows XP logo screen, and I have to turn off the computer then on again and hope that it doesn't do it again. However most times it will take me about 10 attempts of turning the computer on and off after the first one for windows to actually launch properly, but normally I just turn it off and come back when i have found my patients again...
Now when I say this happens sometimes, It usually is ok but once it starts to happen it usually continues to happen. It's like it just does it randomly.

Now the first thing I tried was doing a recovery from the partition drive but it continued to happen quite regularly after I had done this. So my next step was since the PC is still under warranty, I took the computer back and they replaced the hard drive.

I picked up the PC restored all my programs and windows updates and again all of a sudden out of the blue one day same thing happens.

I took the PC back to the store and they can't find anything wrong with it. But they have come up with this reason:

Since I have my PC connected to a router via a wireless USB connection they believe that this is causing a conflict with my internal wireless card even though I have disabled the internal wireless connection and hence cause XP to freeze.

Any one reckon this could be the case ????? because i know of others that have internal wireless cards and the same wireless USB connection I have and they have had no dramas. Please if anyone can give me a few pointers on what to try in dummy terms I would be over the moon with joy if it works.

My system is:

HP Media Centre
Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2002
Service Pack 3
Pentium ® D CPU 3GHz 2GB RAM
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

I have to ask, when you leave it disconnected from the router, as a stand alone computer, does it run without any problems?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for replying,

Since I use this computer for business as well as personal stuff I can't afford not to have it connected to the internet so I have not tried it. I did uninstall the USB software (Netgear) and try using Windows to run my internet connection using the internal card but I couldn't get it to connect to the router. It could see the wireless networks but even with my putting in the pass-code thing it still wouldn't connect, so I had to reinstall the Netgear USB and use tis again.
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#4 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:09 AM

Finally have my internal wireless card connected and have uninstalled the netgear software so fingers crossed
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users