Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Use Command Prompt?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:56 AM

This might seem a daft question, but how do I use command prompt?

I know its Start - Run but what do I do next?

I have been told to put cmd netcfg-e-u ms_sstminiport in Run but do I have to type cmd or is it cmd: or do I simply not put cmd in at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:04 AM

Hi, in the run box type in cmd.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of that window will be a link to the command prompt (cmd.exe). You can double click on it to launch it, or you can right click and select "Run as Administrator" if you need Admin privileges to run it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Just so I have it right before I do anything, I go to Start, Run, type cmd.exe - this is where Im confused, I have a black box with 'Documents and Settings' in it with a blinking dot - what do I type in there?
Do I have to type in cmd again or go ahead with 'netcfg-e-u ms_sstminiport'?

Sorry about this but Ive never been in this area before and havent a clue

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to be a pain .. but when you answer my last post, could you also tell me how I 'run as Administrator' - this is a laptop with only one account.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi , yes you are in the correct window. That is, the black box is a command prompt. To run as admin do this go to the start (that nice visat orb) click on all programs, accessories,then right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator.
Here is a usefull loink to many dos commands. http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
MCP
MSDST

#7 ShoringFan

ShoringFan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:33 AM

'cmd' just the command for open Command Prompt. you could also type in other command in Run box.

#8 eess

eess

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

Here's the most stupid question of the day. Where is 'run' to be found? When I click on 'Start' there is plenty of stuff to be seen but I can't find 'run' anywhere. Right clicking on the start icon doesn't get it either. This is in Vista Home Premium

#9 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

Here's the most stupid question of the day. Where is 'run' to be found? When I click on 'Start' there is plenty of stuff to be seen but I can't find 'run' anywhere. Right clicking on the start icon doesn't get it either. This is in Vista Home Premium

Press the Windows key on the keyboard and R.

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

Another way is to go to Start and just type "run". Then press Enter and the Run dialog will popup.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 eess

eess

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

Another way is to go to Start and just type "run". Then press Enter and the Run dialog will popup.

My stupidity grows with each passing moment. When I click on Start the window that opens doesn't have any place that I can see to type anything except for the 'search' box. Typing run in there doesn't bring up anything like what has been described in these posts.
What am I doing wrong? :huh:

#12 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

I didnt know where Run was either, but I think you type it in the 'Start Search' box which is just above the start button when you press start, and just below 'All Programmes'

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

In Windows Vista, when you click once on the start button, the typing automatically goes in the search box. So, if you type "run" (without the quotes) and wait, you'll see (above the search box) that Run will show up there. If your copy of Vista doesn't do this, then there's an issue with that. Could it be related to the reason why you want to access the Run command?

#14 tarren

tarren

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

Click on start, programmes, at the top "accessories, drop down box will show amongst other things the "cmd" prompt. To run as administrator, right click, it will give you the option to run as admin'r if you require.

#15 Dinesh Singh

Dinesh Singh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:29 AM

Click on start go to run and write there command prompt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users