Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Display Extremely Low, Words Are Almost Unreadable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ssrr

ssrr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Location:Queen City of the Plains (as it was once known)- Denver, Colorado
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:51 AM

There is a computer in the house and is very old, dunno the year as it was a barter / I am not original owner.
Anyway, this happened a couple of months ago, it will not display past 4 colors and the lowest resolution 640 by 480 or something like it, it looks very bad and interfers with settings as the window is too big, even when I lower the task bar to where it can not be seen, you still can not see 'apply' to set it or 'OK' so I can not set anything installed.
I know I can not be the only person who has had this happen.
I have tried updating the driver, uninstalling and then re-installing it many times. None has helped.
I have tried installing different and compatable drivers from Windows but none have changed this screen's appearance.
It says this is the only monitor, 'default monitor', no plug and play monitor or second monitor like most computers have.
I have tried turning it off / disabling it as I was able to install 3 moniter drivers so far to see if one of them would 'kick in' when I disabled it (VgaSave, the microsoft default), all I got was black screen which I used the BIOS to get out of that.
It is 15" (38.1 cm to those in countries using metric) Dell if that is any help. The BIOS version is Phoenix A 01 and BOIS date is 12/17/02. Also said BOIS-AwardBOIS v6.00pg if this any help. Is a desktop / tower (not a laptop) if this is helpful.
I tried going to the Dell site and the model number I have is only good up to Windows 2000, I have XP. I tried installing it anyway (due to the year it came out, XP was not out yet so is why I tried) but due to the screen size, I can not press 'apply' and I do not know keyboard short cuts (shame on me) if there are any for this.
Does anyone know what I can do?
It will only show 4 colors and reading is next to immpossible and screen for anything is HUGE.
Can anyone help? I will provide more info if I have it and thank you..

Edited by ssrr, 27 June 2008 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

What is the model of the Dell?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ssrr

ssrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for your reply.
The model number of the monitor is E551c. It was that one I found that said good up to Windows 2k. Tried to install it but the window it opens up is too big to click 'OK' or 'apply'.
The motherboard model is 07W080
The BOIS vend? is Mitac International
Is a Dell Dimension 2350
Thank you for responding and I hope you are having a nice day and any of this info is helpful

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

Is this the driver you downloaded? Install instructions are at the bottom of the page
Dell Support
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ssrr

ssrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

No, the page didn't look like that. I went on the internet as the support page listed in the resources section (or from there, don't remember) in bleeping computers wanted money and I don't have any and it technically is not my computer, is a computer belonging to soon to be ex fiance as I will be moving on and I have no cash any way.
I typed in the monitor # on the internet and downloaded a file into that computer, is not the one I am on now. Now I don't rememeber where as the file is in the computer that needs it and that one stays off due to a possible trojan or hijacker on the main computer and I think is back in this one as well.
Just to avoid coonfusion, there are 3 computers that share an internet connection in this house, my laptop which is the one I am on now, a computer that has Compaq tower and Dell monitor (also old) and the computer I am seeking help for in this section for which both the tower / hard drive thing and the monitor are Dells. And, yep, already posted help to rid the other computer of Hijack (I believe is Home Search / CWS Hijack but I am no expert), posted HJT log coupla days ago if you are bored and wanna read it and what I have done so far. Am getting a little afraid, no answer, wonder if no hope for it and makes me wonder about this laptop, too, lol. Esp. the laptop as it is mine, the other 2 computers are not and this laptop comes with me when I leave so I hope I can get it cleaned up and sorry for going OT so much....
No one will use the computer I am trying to get advice for now due to the screen and I make sure it stays off so it is not infected with whatever these other 2 have and so far it is not as fiance will not keep his offline (his is where it started and then he used mine while I working cleaning his up although I asked him not to, he sneaked anyway and being a laptop was easy to sneak) when not using it even though I have stressed importance of doing so, I am by NO means an expert but I do know more than he does and understand trojans, etc. can travel to computers sharing internet, easier in fact.
Anyway, I will check that page and try the download from there right now and I will post what happens.
Thank you for your help so far and taking the time to help me and I hope you are having a nice day / night and I mean it....

Edited by ssrr, 28 June 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#6 ssrr

ssrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The display looks better than the other computer with the Dell monitor / Compaq tower / hard drive but not doing anything about that one until / unless I can get the spyware out of it and out of this one (the laptop).
Thank you so much.
I wish I could give you a hug and a fatherly kiss right now (I have no father or grandfather so I mean it).
The display looks so good.
Thank you SO MUCH.
This is why I wish I could get training to help ppl with stuff like like, I already tried on Castle Cops but due to them changing servers, they are not offering it right now.....
Thank you so much again and you have the most wonderful day ever.....

Edited by ssrr, 28 June 2008 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users