Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trackerxx

trackerxx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:10 PM

Windows won't recognize the disk drives on my computer. I opened up the box to see if any of the connectors had come loose. Didn't see anything obvious. Both drives accept cd's and are powered up but windows won't recognize them... What is my first step?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

Try:control panel>system>hardware>and find your IDE/ATA/ATAPI. There is a primary and secondary controller.Install both if not installed (right click to open).
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

Actually, you would want to First Make sure that your BIOS is recognizing them. Right After Post, during boot up, tap F1 (some computer instead of F1, the key is ESC or DEL or F2) until you get into your BIOS. THen See if Your BIOS is listed the drive. If it is not, then it probably is a jumper (on the back of the CD ROM) that is set wrong.

If it is recognizing the CD ROM, then try the IDE Controllers as gunner suggested
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users