Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Get My "start Up" Menu Evaluated?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:38 AM

I have many programs that start automatically when my computer is booted, and I wanted to see if someone could take a look at my start up list, and help me to remove what I don't need.

I have went to MSCONFIG and disabled a few, but, they still pop up.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:58 AM

Hello Jeremy,

I don't think that anyone here will tell you exactly what programs to remove/change, as that is your sole responsibility.
You may receive advice as to how to remove/change them and again if you decide to do so, that is your responsibility if anything goes wrong.

Most (if not all) programs that start with Windows, have the option within the program preferences/options to uncheck "Start With Windows"
If these are checked in each program to start with windows, then no matter how many times you disable them in msconfig, they will run each time you reboot.
They can also be disabled in Services, in most cases.

You can also use one of these to clean up leftover start up programs. Programs you have disabled in msconfig.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/149054/cleanup-disabled-msconfig-startup-programs/

Hope this helps

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#3 jas009

jas009

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

Hi

I was told about this program called "Startup Inspector" which is a free download http://www.windowsstartup.com and this has a look at all your programs that run at start up, it tells you whether they are required for startup or not. Now I'm no computer genius but this helped me really well and made my computer alot quicker to boot up. It is also a lot easier than msconfig i found.
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

Startup Inspector is one of the tools that I would recommend...I tried it sometime ago and it seemed to be a bit easier to understand/use (by those not used to looking at startups) than Autoruns, which is what I prefer.

FWIW: MSCONFIG is meant to be a troubleshooting tool, not a startup manager. The fact that it allows users to temporarily manipulate certain startup items...makes it useful for troubleshooting, a situation where changes are made temporarily while users try to resolve system hiccups. At one time, it was one of the only tools the average user could use to do any management of startups, but today there are far better tools available with none of the weaknesses which msconfig might have as a startup manager.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

As for evaluating startups...as mentioned, that's a user's choice thing. Many users don't mind a zillion startups, but some of us want programs to run only when needed (or not at all), as opposed to whatever might have been loaded onto the system during installation because some program developer thought said item would be useful to some (or to the program developer).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users