Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Convert 2 Monitors To 1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

My computer, a HP 1270N Media center, was purchased used. When I purchased it, it had 2 video cards, one with a VGA connection, and one with a SCSI - looking connection. The SCSI-looking one went out, so, only one monitor works currently. I haven't had the time/money to purchase a new video card, so, I was looking to see if it would be easy to put the computer back onto one screen. I have a number of icons on the other screen, and I can't access them, for the time being, because I can't see them. Also, my programs tab under my "Start" menu is so large I can't see all the programs that I have.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

Right Click the desktop (anywhere that isn't an icon) and select Properties
Click the Settings tab
There should be two screens shown, labelled 1 and 2.
Click Identify
If a large number 1 appears on your screen, click monitor 2 in the box, and vice versa
There should be a box underneath labelled "Extend my desktop onto this display". Clear that box and click apply.

Click the other monitor, and adjust the resolution setting to the right, and then apply
That should do it.

Removing the other graphics card should force windows to reconfigure itself in the same way as above.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

There are 3 monitors listed, with 1 and 3 having large blue boxes, and 2 is a smaller, fuzzy box. If I click on #2, will my main monitor go dark? If so, I'll have no way to see my screen, as the video card for the other one apparently is not working.

Thanks.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

When you click Identify, what number do you see on screen?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

1 just pops up on my screen.

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:17 AM

Then you should be able to safely disable monitors 2 and 3 by unticking the "Extend my desktop onto this monitor" box for each of them.
Tom

Tswsl1989

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users