Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"a Disk Read Error Occured. Press Clt-alt-del To Restart"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FAZAL

FAZAL

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hello,

My computer has worked perfectly fine for the last 3 years then suddenly today I get this message: "A disk read error occured. "Press CLT-ALT-DEL to restart." This actually happened while I was performing a virus defintions update for my Norton Antivirus scanner. They prompted me to restart in order to finish the installation of the updates, then this message appeared as the computer was restarting. Somebody please help!!!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Have an XP CD?

If so....then try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console...on the C: partition.

I would also take a look at the boot options/sequence listed in the BIOS...to make sure that the C: partition is the first option.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#3 FAZAL

FAZAL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

chkdsk /r didnt help at all. it just freezes the computer. Setting the c: drive to first priority in the boot sequence didnt help (all it does make it the error message appear faster as now it does not have to scan the floppy and cd-rom first...)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

If your system cannot complete a chkdsk /r command...you have hard drive problems.

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive...download a hard drive diagnostic program...run the long diagnostic test. This may take several hours.

Post the findings of the diagnostic back here in the forum (whether the drive passes the long test or not).

Louis

#5 FAZAL

FAZAL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

Its a western digital drive. I ran their diagnostic tools. I did a quick scan first and the message said "Read element failure. Error/Status Code: 0007". It recommended I do an extended test. I did that and it said "Too many errors found." Yea...its not looking too good. But I have heard of ways around this error message...like some say converting back to FAT32 (from a previously NTFS) does it. Some say to flash the BIOS, changing the HDD cluster size, changing certain things in the BIOS. Others try stuff like FIXMBR, FIXBOOT, etc. CHKDSK /r obviously did not help me. My drive has two partitions, C and D. C is where windows is installed and its where I keep all my program files, D is just for data files. Ive noticed that windows is not recognizing my C drive partition - it just sees an empty partition with an unknown format. however it fully recognizes my D drive partition.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

Well...if it were me, I would delete the C: and try a new partition/format/install of XP (using the XP CD), while hoping that D: partition remains stable/useable.

As for ways of getting around hard drive problems...I tend to rely on the manufacturer's diagnostic as the last word. If it says the drive is in trouble, all those other suggestions are not going to fix/work around anything. Those suggestions work on hard drives with less severe problem situations, but...you can try them if you like.

Just remember...the Web is one of those places where everyone can suggest anything, whether the suggestion is grounded in logic/fact or not. People often make erroneous suggestions for problematical situations in forums...and some forums are better than others (and some posters are more knowledgeable than others).

When in doubt, I tend to fall back on guidance from Microsoft and hardware vendors.

Any suggestion to fool with the BIOS....to deal with a hard drive with specified problems...may not realize that some things just sometimes have nothing to do with the BIOS.

Louis

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

your drives dying and on a slight chance your motherboard is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users