Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Ratings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JB_orchidguy

JB_orchidguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hello everyone. I have been doing some reading and just want to ask some opinions from more informed people.

I am currently using CA Security Center on a Windows Vista machine. I have the Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Anti-Spam loaded. I left off the firewall because the gentleman at Circuit City said it conflicted with the Vista firewall.

Come next month my service will expire and I will be in the market for a new anti-virus program. I am looking for something that has real time monitoring for spyware and malware. I was infected with a malware for a long time that CA never picked up on with the anti-spyware or virus programs, and i thoguht it was supposed to be there. MSserver somethign or other. I had to DL Malwarebyte's anti-malware to remove it. I found that here BTW. I am currently using firefox as my web browser and it has protected me a little bit, but some things still got through.

Is there any programs that will scan the webpages for viruses and spyware in real time? I know CA anti-virus scanned stuff I DLed but don't know about real time spyware scanning. Like adware-pro used to do.

So before I go renewing with CA and just being diligent about removing things as they come in on occasion. I am wondering if you guys could recommend a good package that works well with Vista. If it is a free one that is fine as long as its good and is not full of advertisements. I DLed a free one about a year ago that was just full of advertisements.

Would it be good to have an additional firewall with Vista's firewall? I also have the hardwired firewall built into my wireless router, but not sure how well that works. Its an older linksys wireless G router.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Edited by JB_orchidguy, 26 June 2008 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

Hello Josh,

There is no 100% protection solution these days. By far the bes AV product I have ever used would be eset's NOD32. http://www.eset.com/
I haven't tried it yet, but have heard good things about http://www.kaspersky.com/
Avira http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php is also very good.

You should only have one firewall and one AV product installed at any one time. To have more can cause conflicts and system problems.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 JB_orchidguy

JB_orchidguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Does the built in firewall in Vista count? I have had it running with ZoneAlarm suite for a day now and no conflicts so far. Just testing it out. I am looking for a suite so I can get it for my GF's PC too. She had one of my CA accounts on her computer. And since I am not there to do it for her right now having an all in one would be great. So since ZA was recommended int he other thread I started, I decided to try it.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

The firewall in vista does technically count, however most people do not find it to be useful. conflicts may not be evident at this point due to the simplicity of the vista firewall.

There are many competent security suites eset do a good security suite, though it is a bit complicated in places. I prefer standalone applications. The advantage to me is that if the suite fails there is no security, but if the standalone firewall is taken down you are still protected to some degree.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users