Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Pro Crashes On Computer Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 simonrjnash

simonrjnash

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

i have zone alarm pro, the latest version with all updates, but when i shut my laptop down "zlclient.exe" crashes, the laptop shuts down but has to end zlclient.exe before it does, anyone know why?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi Simonrjnash,
zlclient.exe needs to end process because it is still running, so it needs to be stopped. I suggust reinstalling it and see if that fixes the promblem. Also running some scans may help as well.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

i have zone alarm pro, the latest version with all updates, but when i shut my laptop down "zlclient.exe" crashes, the laptop shuts down but has to end zlclient.exe before it does, anyone know why?

Thanks

What do you mean "crashes"? If you're refering to a slight shutdown delay while ZA is ending its process, this is completely normal. It's the last thing to shutdown for protection. If it wasn't, a hacker could still corrupt the system in the short interval of the shutdown. For me it lasts 2-3 seconds. Small price to pay for protection to the bitter end.

#4 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

it just brings up the screen when windows usually shuts down a crashed program, with the "end now" button, but automatically end and shuts down, i just wondered if this was normal or a problem, love the program tho. cant really fault it

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

it just brings up the screen when windows usually shuts down a crashed program, with the "end now" button

I don't think you really need to worry about this. If your Zone Alarm is running and working fine, I don't think this is a big deal. However, if there are promblems with your Zone Alarm please tell us. Other than that, I think that it just needs to be stopped before your computer shuts down. If you have windows live messenger and it is running when you shut down your computer it needs to be end tasked before your computer shuts down. Not completly sure why it needs to be end tasked when you shut down your computer though.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

ok thanks, the only other thing is that i could not log onto sites such as Bebo, Facebook, youtube, hotmail and bleepingcomputer when zone alarm was active, of i closed it down i could access them fine but if it was i would type in my login but nothing would happen, would just revert to login screen, i uninstalled it and re-installed and it seems ok at the mo. but dont understand why it did that, the security setting was on medium and it was still stopping it, but atm, it seems ok

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

ZA pro has privacy tab, correct me if wrong.
If it does, on that tab you need to tell ZA to allow the sites and that should include various linked sites. For instance for yahoo mail, it may require 3-4 related sites to be permitted.
For trusted sites you can re-enable various options which block some access. MIME, java, first party cookies etc.

#8 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

thanks very much :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users