Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls For New Users

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

I've been doing alot of reading here at BC and elsewhere and one of the things that I've seen concerning Firewalls is that there are alot of new users that have no desire to become a computer tech or are unwilling to learn much about the tech stuff. Personally, I hate computers. But I recognize the need and usefulness of the internet and computers. What I hate is having to spend extreme amounts of time reading and trying to learn the tech stuff that seems to be required in order to maintain a computer and use it safely. And I'm relatively sure that there are alot of users out there who feel the same way. It's not that people like myself are too lazy to learn, but we just don't have the time. I usually only have time to do what I need or want to do on the computer and internet, I can't sit in front of it all day or night trying to figure out why a particular problem exists. And I have no desire to. But at the same time, I need to be able to access the internet and do business and personal communication safely and confidentially. Some people just want to email, play online games etc. and that's it, no tech stuff.
With all that being said. My question is this:
Which Firewall is the best choice for users that want to install it and forget it basically and still feel and actually be secure?
Also, is there a program in existance that scans your OS and repairs all errors, corruptions, missing or deleted files and basically stabilizes the OS?
Sorry for the long post!
Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hi Tom_Slick.

Which Firewall is the best choice for users that want to install it and forget it basically and still feel and actually be secure?

There are alot of firewalls that are very good and helpful.However I just have Windows firewall enabled which comes in XP. If you really want your computer to be secure then I recommend you install another firewall. There is a list of firewalls here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/ <- that is a tutorial, near the bottom there will be a list of firewalls. Experment with it and see which one works best for you.
I don't want to install another firewall because I get so many popups saying, "allow/block" every few seconds.

Also, is there a program in existance that scans your OS and repairs all errors, corruptions, missing or deleted files and basically stabilizes the OS?

I don't think there is such program that can do that. There are ways to repair the errors and corruptions or missing files according to your promblem. If you have a promblem with your OS. You can post it in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/76/operating-systems/ and people will help with your promblem according to the promblem.
Hope that helps :thumbsup:
Good luck

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 26 June 2008 - 12:51 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Thanks extremeboy! A software program that repairs the OS before problems occur would be great, but I figured that was just wishful thinking on my part, oh well. :thumbsup:
About the Firewalls, I've used Zone Alarm and Commodo but both of those drive me crazy with alerts that I don't know how to respond to. So I'm back to the XP Firewall. Better than nothing, but I've read somewhere that the XP firewall is incapable of preventing spyware etc from "calling home". But it is by far the easiest firewall to use. From what I can tell. I'm open to suggestions as to other firewalls and I'm willing to try others. But I'm on dialup, so just picking one to try just to see if I like it, will require alot of time to download and install it. So I'd like to know which ones are easy to use before I try them. I guess I'm looking for one that is as easy to use as the XP firewall but more secure. Does one exist?
Thanks again!

Edited by Tom_Slick, 26 June 2008 - 10:56 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

You want the bottom line? If you don't like Comodo, you won't like any of them. It's probably the easiest to use. You have to educate yourself on how to properly train any firewall and they are all going to notify you and ask you to decide. It's always going to come down to the user. Any firewall is only as good as your willingness to learn how to use it.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

You want the bottom line? If you don't like Comodo, you won't like any of them. It's probably the easiest to use. You have to educate yourself on how to properly train any firewall and they are all going to notify you and ask you to decide. It's always going to come down to the user. Any firewall is only as good as your willingness to learn how to use it.

I back that up.

At first, the firewall (any firewall) will bombard you with questions - it needs to know which programs are allowed to do what. Basically set teh reminders to remember the action you take and it will save you from being asked the exact same question over and over again.

Eventually after a while, the firewall has learned which programs are allowed to do what :thumbsup:

Edited by david28, 27 June 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

Eventually after a while, the firewall has learned which programs are allowed to do what

Agreed, eventually once you start telling the firewall which files and applications to allow/block it will start remebering that. I suggust you try some of the firewalls mentioned in the tutorial section. Some firewall may work for others but not for you. Its a personal prefrence.
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-...sonal-Firewall/
http://www.agnitum.com/
those firewall seems easy for me to use.
Experiment with them see which one is the best for you. Hope you can choose a firewall that works for you :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the input! Every bit helps! :thumbsup:
As I mentioned, I have no problem with trying to learn, it's having the time to learn that is the problem. I was hoping for some good input from folks here at BC and I got just that! Some of the info I already knew or realized but hopefully this thread will help other new users as it has me!
I'll download some of the firewalls mentioned by extremeboy when I have time, dialup is pretty slow as you all know, so the smaller the setup file the better for me. :flowers:
Thanks alot!

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

Sure - we are here to help :thumbsup:

Which firewall did you choose (if you have already done so).

#9 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

Comodo Firewall 3 without Defense+ or v2.4 is fine :thumbsup:

Josh

#10 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:08 AM

Or... does anyone else just rely on a combined router with built-in hardware True Firewall featuring Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Denial of Service (DOS), and turn off software firewall.
The only security software I run now is Avast.
I do have other precautions... an updated hosts file, spywareblaster updates and occasional sweep with Spybot, dont allow third party cookies, let firefox clean out all cookies after every session and use CCleaner before shut down. But the only constant running software is avast which is very light on the sytem resources and takes care of itself.

#11 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Which firewall did you choose (if you have already done so).

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've got my head stuck on another problem currently and I have an active thread about that in the WinXP section.
Anyway, I am still using the WinXP Firewall for now because of the other problems that I"m having. I want to make sure everything is error free and stable before I install a new firewall.
Thanks!

#12 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

A software program that repairs the OS before problems occur would be great, but I figured that was just wishful thinking on my part, oh well.

Check out Amazing Andrews post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...&hl=sandbox

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users