Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't Print From Mac To A Shared Windows Xp Printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:20 AM

Hi, first of all sorry if you've seen this before but I couldn't find the original post.

I've recently switched from PC to Mac and have had big problems with compatability and printing. Please see my other post with regards to the attachments/compatability issues at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/149105/cant-open-excel-2003-pc-files-with-excel-2008-mac/

I have tried to print from my Mac without success to a windows shared hp laserjet 1000. I am able to find the printer on the network and can connect to it. The problem seems to be with the driver. I can't find a mac driver on HPs website. After a bit of searching the nearest thing that almost worked was a driver called SDK Mono Driver produced by Zenographics. It seemed to send the document to print and the the printer started flashing and the rollers rolled but then it all came to a disappointing halt. I had to clear it from the print que as it said it was halted.

Other than getting a new printer obviously, does anyone have any experience/suggestions on how to get this working please :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Try using the Gutenprint drivers
Posted Image

#3 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

Guttenprint drivers were pre installed on my Mac when I bought it in April this year. There isn't a HP Laserjet 1000 series driver in the list. I checked out the link you gave me but the list seems to be the same as the ones I already have installed. Should I download and install anyway, even though the HPLJ1000 still isn't listed?

Thanks

I should also mention that I tried adding my folks' shared Windows printer when I was at their place and I couldn't print to their HP Officejet 5000 series. That was a Guttenprint driver I used for that but all it did was go to the print que and jam it up for any other computer wanting to print stuff.

Edited by mattbronson, 26 June 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#4 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

Is it the Mac print queue or the PC print queue it stops in? Any time I have a print problem first thing I check is the paper size. If the document on the mac isn't set to the right paper size available from the printer, then I've noticed that a mac created document will not get printed by a network or windows printer and instead of being asked to convert to the available print size it just sits in the print queue.

A simple difference like the document being set to US letter instead of Letter size is enough.

Its a long shot but worth checking.

#5 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

You need to get the MAC on the same network, which I assume you already have done, and tehn you need to google for the driver of that printer for a mac...

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

Apple issued an HP drivers update for Leopard. Maybe your printer is now supported (I didn't check if it is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users