Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are You Happy With Firefox 3?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you happy with Firefox 3? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with the new Firefox 3?

1. Yes (23 votes [76.67%])

Percentage of vote: 76.67%

2. No (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

As the title suggests - Are you happy with Firefox 3?

Personally, I reckon Mozilla rushed the release - the new one slows down on me, crashes, the new tab glow slows down my PC and it took ages to load - Internet Explorer is faster even with all my add-ons disabled. :thumbsup:

I was so unhappy with it that I actually reverted back to 2.0.0.14.

I also heard some people are actually alright with it :flowers:

Please vote in the poll and if you want, feel free to give a reason why :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:52 AM

I'm quite happy with the release, but as you say it isn't perfect.

Most of the time it runs quickly and smoothly, but sometimes it doesn't.

It is good, but there is room for improvement.

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

I have had absolutely no crashes or problems with the new release, except that one add-on was not compatible. There have been some very good changes from the user's point of view, and it does seem to have a smaller footprint from what I "feel."
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

I tried the beta a few months ago and ended up reverting to 2.0.0.14, and it looks as though this will happen again. At the moment I have had to change my default browser from FF3 to Opera 9.5.

Can't download images from some sites, and StarDownloader goes completely berserk ending up with about 60 Save As windows open. Just not worth the hassle.

When you have something that causes problems versus one that works perfectly, no contest.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

John I seem to get the opposite :thumbsup:

I think I am going to stay with 2.0.0.14 until FF3 decides to work for me.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

I am happy with Qpera 9.5 also,rowal. Does everything I need. :thumbsup:
I uninstalled FF3.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

I am miserable with it for one (and only one) reason. The STOP button should be RED!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

Well... what also annoys me is there are no themes for it! (Then again since it is a completely new version I shouldn't expect them :thumbsup: )

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

No complaints from me.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 910 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

I am going to wait until practically everyone is happy with it before even trying it.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

I am miserable with it for one (and only one) reason. The STOP button should be RED!!!

It is possible to change these icons slightly.
remember to BACKUP ALL files modified

1. Navigate to the following C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome

2. Locate classic.jar and open it with your archive manager. eg 7-zip

3. Within the archive navigate to skin\classic\browser\

4. Copy the file Toolbar.png out of the archive to the desktop. BACK UP this file to another location

5. Open this file with your graphics editing software (something better than paint)

6. Edit the icon carefully as the icons are set out specifically.

7. Once you have finished your edit simply copy the file back into the archive. You will need to close firefox in order to upload the file as FireFox uses the archive.

8. Open FireFox and the changes should be displayed.

9. If the changes don't look right simply replace the edited file in the archive with the original
Regards,

Alan.

#12 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

At first I was reasonably happy and pleasantly surprised about some of the new things in FF3. And I did notice FF3 was faster. But after a couple of days I began to think some things were changing on me although I couldn't quite put my finger on them. But I started having episodes I can only describe as "I think I did this yesterday. Now, where it is today?" Or, "That looks different now. It didn't look like that before. Why?"

I decided that my problems might be stemming from an attempt to run FF3 with FF2 with a different profile a few days before. I had definitely messed that up somehow and reverted back to FF2, by deleting that FF3 profile. But it had left some FF3 files in my default profile. I had saved a pristine copy of my profile and it had 40 files and folders in it. This one had 63, with the new file names FF3 uses. So I completely uninstalled FF2 also. All of it. Settings and everything. Cleaned the registry, reinstalled FF2 clean and restored the 40 pristine files in my profile. Then I created a Ghost Image for backup, so I could try a clean install of FF3 and see if that worked out better.

I repeated the steps of removing FF2 completely so I could start with just FF3 out of the box. No personal add-ons. Just the default theme. No user.js changes. Nada. Nothing. The only thing I did was import my bookmarks so I could compare how it acted then and now at familiar sites.

That 'experiment' lasted about 45 minutes.

Right out of the gate FF3 wouldn't ask to save my passwords at forums. Off to the mozillaZine forum I go. The explanation for that is blamed on the websites not allowing it. (Although it seems the websites I go to allowed it okay in FF2 and in my combo FF2 and FF3!) We're advised to use a bookmarklet or a password manager addon. Not acceptable, especially the blame the other guy excuse. Come out and say it. FF3 is the culprit, whether it be a bug or by design.

At that point I wondered if it was worth trying to set up my favorite extensions (most will work or I'd found suitable alternatives) and take the FF3 plunge. I think I would have except for one add-on that I really want to work in FF3, but it isn't updated yet and there's no alternative for it. I'd tried Tester Tools and other hacks earlier and still couldn't get it to work. I decided I'd wait to see if LinkVisitor would catch up, because I really depend on that one a lot.

So, I used my Ghost Image and now I'm back to 2.0.0.14 for the duration.

Although I have been reading up on trying to install FF3 over my pristine FF2, that won't have the second profile conflicts to deal with. Some people have said it works for them. It would sure save a lot of time and hard work if it would work that way.

Has anyone installed over a clean FF2 and had good results?

#13 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Im still using 2.0.0.14.
I check for updates and there is none, so i dont think there is a firefox 3.

#14 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

Im still using 2.0.0.14.
I check for updates and there is none, so i dont think there is a firefox 3.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I read that the automatic update for FF3 has not been implemented yet. It has to be downloaded and installed for now.

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

Oh that other thing that really did it for me was that I couldn't use the full version of Hotmail :thumbsup:

I get tons of emails and really need the full version otherwise I waste time opening new windows :flowers:

To me it feels like what happened with Vista - problems once it was released, possibly because they couldn't wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users