Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:44 AM

Can someone help me please.

I started System Restore today, but after over an hour, the screen was still saying it was restoring registry and folders etc Nothing seemed to be happening at all - I remember in XP it doesnt take very long - so I switched off and restarted the machine. Obviously System Restore didnt complete.

My question is, how long should it take? (its a laptop running Vista Home premium) and also do I have to boot in Safe Mode first to run it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

When having difficulties with System Restore, one of the first things to try is running it in Safe Mode (another is running it from the command line in the Recovery Environment).

Here's more info about Vista's System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 saboarsenal

saboarsenal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

vista is bed I think that xp is much beter......................

#4 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:45 AM

Ive tried System Restore in Safe Mode and it did exactly the same - stuck when restoring registry - after 2 hours the little blue circle was still going roung on the screen, but there was no activity elsewhere, ie no green lights flickering on - I unplugged the power, and restarted the machine.

When I spoke to Acer, they said System Restore doesnt work with Acer systems, you have to do a complete restore back to factory settings which i dont want to do.
I rang Acer back later in day and spoke to someone else, who said you could use system restore as it is part of Windows - so i am completely confused - the one thing i do know is that I cannot complete System Restore.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

If System Restore in Safe Mode is having problems with your registry, then I'd suspect that there's a corruption in the registry that's preventing it. Unfortunately, registry repairs are an iffy proposition IME.

Try this link for repairing your registry: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

If you run Startup Repair and still don't have any success, post back with the Startup Repair log file located here: Startup Repair Log

After Startup Repair has run, a text log with diagnostic information and repair results is generated. This log file is located at %WINDIR%\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.

Edited by usasma, 27 June 2008 - 08:27 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for your link. I didnt really grasp how you get to Start UP Repair - is it by pressing F8, and do I need back up discs or does the system repair any faults automatically?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:03 AM

If you're able, Startup Repair will be the first item in the F8 menu (above Safe Mode). If it's not there, then you'll have to boot from your Vista installation DVD. Here's a link to using it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

If you don't have a Vista Installation DVD, you can download a copy of the 32 bit version here (direct download): http://coblitz.codeen.org/neosmart.net/dow...ry_Disc_x86.iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users