Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In IE too many security warnings!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:26 AM

Dear forum members,
I have been enjoying & reading your topics for awhile now. I'm proud to say I just joined your forum tonight.
Somewhere on here I read "How to make you Internet Explorer safer" So, I went into explorer oolssecurity, clicked on the internet icon and followed instructions.
After this change, I was getting too many security boxes to click " OK". So, I changed it back to " default" but it did not stop.
I would appreciate your help.

I am motivated to learn how to STOP strangers from downloading toolbars and hidden spyware. Its makes me angry that they download toolbars without my permission. I lost my yahoo messenger and now I'm lonely but thats another topic. :thumbsup:
I am alert and motivated to to do anything as long you all know I'm not familiar with advance instructions.
Your new member,
Lyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

This might seem a bit overwhelming, but .....

My opinion,
Use Firefox as your browser, and set IE's security settings back the way they were.

Firefox is a more secure browser than IE, has tabbed browsing, and a built in pop-up blocker.
You can also configure it, to your own preferences, with the use of extensions.
Some of our members favorites:
Favorite Firefox Extension

You can use as many different browser as you want to.
You don't have to uninstall one, to use the other.
Just use IE for Windows Updates.

A few, other browsers:
Mozilla
Netscape
Opera

Use these basic security programs.

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
We were all newbies, at one time.

Edited by tg1911, 09 April 2005 - 02:53 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:58 AM

One of the trade-offs with computer security using IE, or any browser, is that if you set their settings properly, you will have a lot of security boxes popping up, and will have to make some decisions. You can, of course, reduce your settings and not be bothered with these "annoyances" but you absolutely relinquish control over what happens when you are on the web.
On those rare occasions when I am forced to use IE, the warning popups are many, but I would rather deal with those than expose my computer to tracking cookies or worse.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:15 PM

Thanks John,
You give very sensible advice. Ifinallly found the topic where I copied my new seeting and did the reverse. I agree saftety is the most important, However, I just installed the internet connection fire.
Eight months ago, not being a computer technican, I installed SP1a and lost ineternet connect, thus loosing all the troubleshoting. And No I did not have a printer.
If Im going to install SP1 I need step by step help.
Right now Im planning Firefore Browser and wondering if all my Favorites will be copied into Firefox?
Once again thank you for your suggestions
Lyn

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

There is a very easy to use wizard in FF that will allow you to copy your IE favourites into FF bookmarks. I myself use Mozilla, the browser/email combination, and had absolutely no problems with the transfer.
You might want to wait until 1.0.3 is released very shortly now, as it has some security patches in the new release. You will find that the FF folks will fix any security holes much much much much much much faster than will MS.
Regards,
John
Did I say MUCH faster?

#6 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:22 PM

Hi John,
You are mind reading my concerns. I have so many websites saved under favrorites, which l timelly rread and saved spyware, AdWare and other great software which I methodically saved in IE Favorites. Ive heard only good things about FF.
Would you believe I came on computer forum for help w my yahoo messenger. One night the logon window closed when pressing the first letter to my ID. At the time the engineer who was helping thought removing all my malware and installing SP1a first priority.
Now to add to the list windows update will not manually work. Im about to bring my system in to a technican, but I have found the only install without opening applications which I would.
Another alternative is doing a factory reinstallment for the 5th time. If I do, I want to find out how to do a ''custom reinstallment'' I would think XP would give me a choice about which applications I need on my sysytem. Yes, when it comes to my computer I want it my way. Do I sound like a typical woman, lol well im a woman but im not sure how typical I am.
I appologized if I rambled on. I miss my good friends on yahoo. Anyway, I will install FF if you would kindly inform me when the new verion is out.
Warmly,
Classy

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

The new release could come as early as this weekend. Watch the news here at BC, as someone will post.
Regards,
John

#8 Lyn

Lyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:54 AM

Did you say faster? And FF bookmarking is it the same as favorites?
Did I tell one of my favorite hobbies is " Tweaking my system" of course, to run by quicker the reminder ''its XP's Home Edition, Welcome" The faster I see that go by the happier I am! Well its the truth. But I do follow educated advice carefully. Do we really need to see the opening ad for XP on our computer?
I just wish I had a photogenic memory to untweak what I tweaked,hmmmm? It brings back memories, of a paid computer engineer telling me, '' he just tries things, and if it didn't work, there's an old backup, showing me as he typed in Dos. I remember they couldn't find my problem to which I paided a costly amount to fix and only to bring back, this time he lead me at my system and vola! He saw my problem. And made an adjustment I could have done at home. Since then I never brought my computer to be fixed.
Well I learned my lesson, not to tweak unless I can untreak, or know if untreaking will enable my updates to work. But thats another topic and more for me to learn.lol
At least I'm not tweaking the engine of my car,wink but then again, it can always run faster! ,lol
Sleepless in NY and missing my yahoo friends,
With great respect to you,
Classy

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

Well, Classy, I can only speak from my own experience (though this is matched by many many others) when I say that FF (or in my case the Mozilla Suite) is MUCH faster than is IE. What you will like about FF is that there are many "extensions" (that is to say, plugins) available so that you can tailor the browser to things you need (for example, a calendar or an application that makes using BBCode a snap).
Cheers, and get some sleep,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users