Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIFS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:45 PM

I have read thru your tutorial on comp imaging-very good. But, of course, I have questions.

1. What is it about GIFS as ooposed to other files and formats that makes them so Ideal for hiding trojans within etc?? Just wondering. I remember some advise that one cleaning technique is to get rid of temp and GIF files.

2. I have in the past tried to do/work with animated GIFS, but never successful (I didn't try very hard) How does one build/construct a file with individual GIFS and then cause them to animate?

3. And, when I clicked on the link (on the tutorial) to look at an example of GIF animation it was Xd out-would not open!! Is this a setting in MSIE?

Not a critical matter, but if anyone has info/links I would appreciate
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

The Graphics Virus Myth
There are two reasons that the graphics virus myth won't die.

* One is that it happens all too often that someone clicks on a graphic and then has their PC crash (sometimes with damage to the programs and data on the disk. This is due to bugs (or conflicts) in the browser software not because of an attack from a virus or a trojan.

* The other reason is that there have been a number of virus infected Usenet postings (often in the sex related areas) where the graphic files include a viewer program. Such a program (unlike the graphics themselves) can easily be infected.

http://cuip.net/~billings/AnimationWorkshop/
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/animate.html
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.asp?p=31536

IE - Tools/Internet Options, click on Advanced tab, scroll down to multimedia
Check Play Animations, Show Images.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

if youd like to see for yourself why gifs are a popular way to hide and run trojans open a dos prompt and enter:

copy c:\windows\system32\ping.exe c:\windows\system32\ping.gif

now from the same prompt just enter: ping.gif

the ping program will execute. this works only from a comand shell. if you were to double-click ping.gif in windows explorer it would try to open it with whatever graphics program your machine has registered for .gif files and you'll get an error.

you can build an animated gif using paintshop pro's animation shop. there's also a freeware program called gifbuilder if i remember correctly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users