Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection Half Works

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

I recently got a wireless router which connects directly to my old pc (running xp) and which I've configured (by some miracle) so that it sends and my laptop (running vista with built in PCMIA? card) can and does recieve, however, it only allows me to share an internet connection not to home network to share files and printers. I've tried using ALL the instructions in the vista and the xp help files I've even used troubleshooter, even though a lot of it made no sense to me. I've tried using a usb flash drive to transfer settings but that hasn't done a single thing to help.
I'm not the most technically proficient person and I'm sure it's that I'm not doing something or I am doing it wrong, but I can't find a way to make it work.
It tells me that it's connected to the network but it doesn't tell me what computer it is connected to (hope that makes sense) and I have definately got the files I want to access marked so that they can be accessed and modified by another computer, but that's no use anyway if it doesn't even find the pc.
Please tell me (in very simple terms - I don't understand terms like pinging) what it is I need to do.

Edited by boo-boo-79, 25 June 2008 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hello boo-boo-79,

I'm not sure what it is that you would like to do. Do you want to browse the internet using the older computer through the newer computer's internet connection?
Or are you trying to share files between the two systems?

A ping is just a way computers say 'hello' to other computers. It is basically the same as a person entering a room and saying 'hello insert_name' and waiting for that person to say hello back.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

My internet connection is working fine on both, I just can't seem to share files between the two. Also I can't get a printer connection on the laptop (new computer).
It's all a big puzzle to me! I've tried following all the instructions but the only way I've had success was to make a copy to a portable device which isn't always practical.
Thanks for explaining what ping means though, I didn't get it before. As I say I'm not very proficient in computer speak, though I do try to learn.

Edited by boo-boo-79, 29 June 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Here is a useful program that will help you configure your network http://www.networkmagic.com/ they do a free version that should meet the requirements.

BC does have a glossary of computer terms at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/glossary/Cat-A.html
Regards,

Alan.

#5 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thank you. :thumbsup:

#6 nigglesnush85