Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fearing Cmdservice In The Registry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Syris

Syris

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hello,

I've had some spyware issues in the past, with Antivirus XP 2008 and joke_bluescreen... but lately have had no problems at all with my computer. After performing a routine Panda Active scan 2.0, I noticed some abnormal entries. With the combined scans from McAfee, Ad-Aware, and Spybot... along with Bit Defender and HouseCall, I should be able to get most of everything off my system. Just to clarify... my system works normally. I don't even use IE explorer, which seems to work fine when running some online spyware scanners. I don't get popups, but I do want to know if there's any risk to having some parts of CmdService still in the registry. There appear to be no files that link to it on my computer. None of the other programs list CmdService.

I didn't seem to remove some pieces of CmdService, though. Here is a scan from Panda Active Scan BEFORE using Spybot and Ad-Aware to remove all the various cookies. I also removed the recycler folder (part of the whole Antivirus XP 2008 fiasco). I've seen process.exe in the past, so I believe I actually downloaded that somewhere to be a part of !Killbox or some other program along that line.

;***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
ANALYSIS: 2008-06-25 08:41:31
PROTECTIONS: 1
MALWARE: 21
SUSPECTS: 0
;***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
PROTECTIONS
Description Version Active Updated
;===================================================================================================================================================================================
McAfee VirusScan Yes Yes
;===================================================================================================================================================================================
MALWARE
Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location
00139061 Cookie/Doubleclick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.doubleclick.net/]
00139064 Cookie/Atlas DMT TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.atdmt.com/]
00139535 Application/Processor HackTools No 0 Yes No C:\WINDOWS\system32\Process.exe
00145457 Cookie/FastClick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.fastclick.net/]
00145457 Cookie/FastClick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.fastclick.net/]
00145731 Cookie/Tribalfusion TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.tribalfusion.com/]
00145738 Cookie/Mediaplex TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.mediaplex.com/]
00168056 Cookie/YieldManager TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt [ad.yieldmanager.com/]
00168056 Cookie/YieldManager TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[ad.yieldmanager.com/]
00168056 Cookie/YieldManager TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[ad.yieldmanager.com/]
00168061 Cookie/Apmebf TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.apmebf.com/]
00168093 Cookie/Serving-sys TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Cookies\syris@bs.serving-sys[1].txt
00169190 Cookie/Advertising TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.advertising.com/]
00169190 Cookie/Advertising TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.advertising.com/]
00170304 Cookie/WebtrendsLive TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Cookies\syris@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
00170556 Cookie/RealMedia TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.realmedia.com/]
00170556 Cookie/RealMedia TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.realmedia.com/]
00171982 Cookie/QuestionMarket TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.questionmarket.com/]
00171982 Cookie/QuestionMarket TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.questionmarket.com/]
00172221 Cookie/Zedo TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.zedo.com/]
00173520 Cookie/Bluestreak TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.bluestreak.com/]
00184846 Cookie/Adrevolver TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.adrevolver.com/]
00184846 Cookie/Adrevolver TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.adrevolver.com/]
00204405 adware/searchresults Adware No 0 Yes No HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8B6DA27E-7F64-4694-8F8F-DC87AB8C6B22}
00219235 adware/commad Adware No 0 Yes No hkey_local_machine\system\controlset001\enum\root\legacy_cmdservice
00293517 Cookie/AdDynamix TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.ads.addynamix.com/]
00293517 Cookie/AdDynamix TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Syris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\g8awcpdv.default\cookies.txt[.ads.addynamix.com/]
00520936 Application/ViewPoint HackTools No 0 Yes No C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\3.8.0\ViewBarBHO.dll
03008451 Application/AdvancedXPFixer HackTools No 0 Yes No C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1409082233-746137067-839522115-500\Dc1\rhc16nj0el2tSkin.dll
SUSPECTS
Sent Location }
VULNERABILITIES
Id Severity Description }

So in conclusion:
-all the cookies (cleared with Spybot/Ad-Aware)
-process.exe (haven't had ill effects)
-Adware/search results (Help?)
-Adware/commad (CmdService, how do I destroy thee)
-Viewpoint (retarded program that I needed to view some new wheels; no ill effects)
-Advanced XP Fixer (I BELIEVE I removed by rmdir /u or something similar in the command prompt after reading this Active Scan)

Anyone know if it's ok to leave the entries in the registry? Should I remove them?

Thank you for any advice you may be able to provide,
~syris

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 June 2008 - 08:29 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#3 Syris

Syris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

Thank you for responding! :thumbsup:
Here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.19
Database version: 918
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3:42:34 AM 7/3/2008
mbam-log-7-3-2008 (03-42-34).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 41202
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Software Notifier (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

As far as I can see your pc is clean again. :thumbsup:
Do you still have any problems? :flowers:

#5 Syris

Syris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:32 PM

Thank you for your help Superbird!

In actuality, I wasn't experiencing any operational problems... I was made aware via Panda Activescan that malicious code from cmdservice was still resident in the registry. Being somewhat apprehensive of registry editing, I merely wanted advice on whether registry keys that go to deleted files and folders would still be dangerous (ie, if I got cmdservice again somehow).

I'll do another Activescan, and see if those registry entries are still there. There were a couple postings on the internet where people noticed difficulties removing some registry entries for cmdservice, but these dated from 2006 or 2007. This sparked my interest, since apparently I 'did' have cmdservice, but it was removed at some point.

I really appreciate the help you've given me -- and I'm sorry if I somewhat led you astray.

~syris...

#6 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

Please, no excuses. We're here to help people, if I didn't wanted to help people, I wasn't here. :thumbsup:

Read this page for prevention tips: http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...prevention.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users