Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Repair Xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 skits101

skits101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Okay, I have an older ibm computer that has xp on it, I was trying to free disk space by compressing and archieving all the files on the hard drive. But while I was doing this I unpluged my Samsung P2 Mp3 player, then the screen went blue and said it ways doing a physical dump of memory and now I can't log on or even start windows. I used a homemade copy of xp so I can't load that and begin the repair log , I really need help!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Two questions...1) When you say homemade version of xp, does this mean that you don't have a legit copy of xp?,2) When you say you can't log on, do you mean your machine won't reboot? Best to you...

#3 skits101

skits101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

yeah, its not a legit xp CD but it still has all the registration codes needed and stuff, and it will turn on just not go to the menu or even do the windows loading bar it just freezes,

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

I don't think the folks here at BC can help you if its not a legit CD. But I think they can if it is a "backup" and you still have the original.

I don't remember the rules on that exactly and giving you help on what to do next would put me on thin ice.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 skits101

skits101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I still have the origanal XP CD, I just made a copy so I didn't have to keep asking my dad for his CD cause i tend to break computers often, it's just a copy i made for quick refrence, but it is activated and everything

#6 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

If you can get your dad's original you may try to boot your pc with the original xp cd in your cd-rom and do a repair install from there or maybe hit your f8 til you get the bootup screen and go the safe-mode route so you can do an sfc /scannow (system file check) run and see if it finds any corrupted or missing files which it will then replace with clean ones. Note the space between the c and the / on the sfc /scannow. Go to start>run and then type in sfc /scannow and hit ok. Have the xp cd handy as it will probably ask you for it. You also have the option of trying a system restore to a date from before your problem once you get to your safe mode. Hope this helps. Best to you...

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

Using an unauthorized copy of Windows is against FORUM RULES
Topic is closed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users