Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ActiveX Controls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wlgtlrn

wlgtlrn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:24 PM

I'm receiving the following messages when using IE6: "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result the page may not display correctly."

Another problem is, when logging onto Yahoo, I'm receiving the following message: "The browser you're using refuses to sign in. (cookies rejected)"

Thanks in advance. Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:44 PM

You are getting these messages because you have made a sound judgement about your security settings---you have restricted running activeX and allowing cookies. You may wish to put Yahoo into your safe zone, as well as whatever else you are trying to access that you TRUST COMPLETELY, and allow both activeX to run and cookies to be accepted for these.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 wlgtlrn

wlgtlrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:27 AM

John

Thanks for the prompt response, I added the sites to my safe zone and all is well. I wasn't looking for a response until much later tonight or in the morning, appreciate your expertise. Paul

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

Thank YOU for posting back letting us know you have solved the problem, since other members may have the same problem at some time or another.
Regards,
John

#5 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

Hi John,
Will you please help me? My logon to yahoo messenger closed when typing the first key to my Yahoo ID. I usually fix any errors by uninstalling and reinstalling but this time without success.
Now I'm wondering if all I needed to was add it to my safe site. I wonder if you can tell me if enabling cookies would fix my problem. I supose it enabling cookies would be a sacrifice to maleware. But after all these years of being this way, im willing to take being open to malware? In my future probles I am planning to download SP1a ( thats another topic. :thumbsup: )
Before installing a very missed messenger, Id appreciate youeducated advice, keeping in mind I would need a step by step instructions.

P.S. I had to change the Internet setting for Microsoft update, to allow the IE Browser to accept the "s" in http(s) should I change it back to only accept "http" I forget how I did it, would you recommend changing it back. If so will you please tell me how?
I'm finally posting my initial problem I search and came to this very friendly and helpful forum.
Classy

#6 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:49 PM

"You may wish to put Yahoo into your safe zone, as well as whatever else you are trying to access that you TRUST COMPLETELY, and allow both activeX to run and cookies to be accepted for these."( Quoted from an above post.)

My Yahoo messenger opens and closes. Will you please explain in more detail,like which "tab" I click on to add Yahoo messenger into a trusted site. And how do I get the messengers address to copy into the "Trusted Site".
Which line (s) do I check to enable active X?
How do I only allow Y-messenger to use cookies.
Sleepless & very much appreciate help in getting my messenger working,
Lyn

Edited by Lyn, 15 April 2005 - 12:22 AM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Since it has been over two years since I have used IE, I will refer you to the MS write-up on setting up zones and how to add websites to it (it is fairly clear and has stepbystep instructions):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...N;Q174360&LN=EN

Setting your Trusted Sites zone to low security should allow cookies, which should allow access to Yahoo Messenger.

Hope this helps you some,
If you still have questions, let us know and perhaps someone who uses IE on a day to day basis can help you better than I.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 April 2005 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users