Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Av's ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 conoflex

conoflex

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:42 AM

Hi,
Stupid question time !!

Is there or would there be any advantage from running 2 different AV programs on my machine ? would they just conflict with each other ?

reason i'm asking is i've just been offered a year's free AV from Computer Associates and i'm using kaspersky.

Andy

AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro/Intel i7 3770k/Water Cooled

/32GB RipjawX PC3-1866/Aus Xonar D2/PM/Crucial M4 128gb SSD/2TB Hitachi 6gb/2TB Seagate 6gb

/Asus 7970 TOP/Corsair HX 850watt PSU /Bitfenix Shinobi XL/Asus 24x DVDRW/Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS/Akasa Internal DuoSwap Caddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

You should only have one AV running. They would conflict.

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hi,
Stupid question time !!

Is there or would there be any advantage from running 2 different AV programs on my machine ? would they just conflict with each other ?

reason i'm asking is i've just been offered a year's free AV from Computer Associates and i'm using kaspersky.

Andy

As frankp316 said, you should only have one AV running at a time. The reason for this is because the AVs would 'fight' over control of the system and that may lead to more problems than solutions... This is only true for the "resident" protections though. There is no reason why you couldn't have a second AV for on-demand scanning as long as you disable their 'always-on' functions. Although of the two, Kaspersky is definitely the better. Etrust (CA) is alright, but I found it inadequate and somewhat annoying when I tested it a few years ago.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to add something.
Having 2 Anti-virus program is not that usefull. It will just take up a great amount of space and espically slow down your computer. If you really want to install two then only one of them should be active in memory. 2 AV causes false positives and System Performance Problems.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 25 June 2008 - 06:48 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 conoflex

conoflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:36 AM

Many thanks, just confirmed what i thought :thumbsup: said it was stupid question :flowers:

Andy

AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro/Intel i7 3770k/Water Cooled

/32GB RipjawX PC3-1866/Aus Xonar D2/PM/Crucial M4 128gb SSD/2TB Hitachi 6gb/2TB Seagate 6gb

/Asus 7970 TOP/Corsair HX 850watt PSU /Bitfenix Shinobi XL/Asus 24x DVDRW/Iiyama Prolite E2773HDS/Akasa Internal DuoSwap Caddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users