Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Properties Tabs Missing & Cannot Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dash8x

dash8x

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:40 AM

http://picasaweb.google.com/uligamu/Majeed...745360627750258
http://picasaweb.google.com/uligamu/Majeed...745359492972642
Recently my computer got infected with a fake antivirus called XP Antivirus 2008. With instructions I found on this site it seems as if I have removed this program but now I am having more problems like tabs missing from the display properties and not being able to remove programs from Add or Remove Programs. I have other problems like new programs that I havent installed showing up in the Add or Remove Programs (especially some softwares of MS office package in different languages).
I have run AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG 8.0 and I have found a lot of viruses in Internet Explorer and have removed them but still the problems I have mentioned continue. So please help me find a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

Go to Start > Run type: cmd
press Ok.
At the command prompt type: regsvr32 appwiz.cpl
(Note there is a space between 32 and appwiz)
Hit Enter.
When finished, type: exit
Hit Enter and reboot your computer.

If that does not help, then click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #337 and click "Restore Change or Remove Programs" in the right column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save noremovepage.reg to your desktop. Double-click on that file and choose "Yes" to merge it into the registry when prompted. Once you get a successful message delete the file and reboot.

The above and below steps involve making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #285 and click "Restore All Display Tabs" in the right column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save restorealldisplaytabs.reg to your desktop. Double-click on that file and choose "Yes" to merge it into the registry when prompted. Once you get a successful message delete the file and reboot.

You can also go here, and run a vbscript which can restore the missing display tabs. Scroll down to "Attachments" and click on -> showalldisplaytabs-xp.vbs. If you have trouble finding it, click this link to download the file directly and save to your desktop. Double-click on showalldisplaytabs-xp.vbs to allow the script to run. Since the script modifies certain registry settings you may receive an alert from your anti-virus or any script blocking program. Ignore the warning and allow it to continue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dash8x

dash8x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

Thanx for the advice. I was able to solve the display properties tabs problem using the last vbscript you mentioned. But still I wasn't able to solve the Add or Remove Programs problem and sometimes when I log into the computer a blue screen error is also displayed but when I press ESC the display returns to normal.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

blue screen error is also displayed

What does the full error say?

What exactly did you do to remove this infection?

#5 dash8x

dash8x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

Unfortunately I wasn't able to read the message on the blue error screen and it didn't also show up afterwards. I used the instructions on this link to remove XP Antivirus. Just now I have scanned using RegCure 1.5 and found about 900 problems and have fixed them. But still the Add or Remove Programs Problem remain.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

You can try the instructions in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove buttons.

Again, this step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.

Just now I have scanned using RegCure 1.5 and found about 900 problems and have fixed them

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system unbootable.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Ed Bott's Webog: Why I donít use registry cleaners
Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users